[SOLVED] Upgrading my gaming PC

Nov 29, 2019
Hi, I'm going to upgrade my gaming PC, and I wanted some advice on what to buy. I'm thinking to go under 1000€, and for now chose the following:

- motherboard:
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS, 93,27 €

- CPU:
Intel Core i5-9600K (3.70 GHz), 197,47 €

- RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX Schwarz 16GB DDR4 RAM (4000 MHz, CL18), 163,02 €

- GPU:
ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 480,67 €

- SSD:
Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe (250GB), 74,90 €

I've got these prices on computeruniverse a couple hours ago, and since they've changed, I guess I might consider 2060 instead. Also, that's a little bit more than 1k, because I've replaced SSD with M.2 one.

I'm not sure if these are optimal (maybe I can buy something better for similar price?) and are completely compatible (DDR4@4GHz for that i5, for example). Maybe it's more viable to buy more RAM with less frequency? Also, I've been told to maybe buy PCIe 4.0 motherboard, but it seems all of them are not socket 1151, so that means buying another CPU. Ryzen 5 3600 looks similar to i5-9600K, though I'm not really into AMD.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Russia, and I'm thinking to buy off computeruniverse, since it might be cheaper than in local stores.
actually pc part picker isnt available for Russia, so i cant personally tell the prices, but i can obviously give u the parts which i wud recommend:
for intel, i think its ok; if u wud had chosen ryzen then amd ryzen 5 3600k wud had been a good choice as it has 6 cores and 12 threads...
for the GPU either the 2070 or the 5700xt wud be my recommendation; google the comparison between the 2, here u can save a few euros if u go for 5700xt...
And third u shud get a PSU : i wud recommend corsair rm 650 watts...
Russia, and I'm thinking to buy off computeruniverse, since it might be cheaper than in local stores.
actually pc part picker isnt available for Russia, so i cant personally tell the prices, but i can obviously give u the parts which i wud recommend:
for intel, i think its ok; if u wud had chosen ryzen then amd ryzen 5 3600k wud had been a good choice as it has 6 cores and 12 threads...
for the GPU either the 2070 or the 5700xt wud be my recommendation; google the comparison between the 2, here u can save a few euros if u go for 5700xt...

Solution
Nov 29, 2019
Get less expensive ram G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
And get better cpu i7-8700(k) or i7-9700(k).
Plus cpu cooler Bequiet Dark Rock 4 or Cryorig H5.

Thanks! With cheaper RAM even i7-9700 build costs a little bit less than the one I've posted. Also forgot about cooler, thanks for your recommendations.

I've made an alternative AMD build, with Ryzen 7 3700x (it costs a little bit less than i7-9700 SkyNetRising told to get) and 5700XT (and, obviously, another motherboard). Now I'm not sure what to choose: AMD build is a little bit cheaper and according to userbenchmark.com is less slightly gaming-oriented and slightly more workstation-oriented.

Thanks for pointing out PSU, I have a 600 watt one and I thought I'd be OK with it, but since it's recommended 650 for 2070s, I guess I should buy a new one.

// also, figured out why prices changed on computeruniverse: somehow devilery country switched to Germany and thus VAT was applied

I've made an alternative AMD build, with Ryzen 7 3700x (it costs a little bit less than i7-9700 SkyNetRising told to get) and 5700XT (and, obviously, another motherboard). Now I'm not sure what to choose: AMD build is a little bit cheaper and according to userbenchmark.com is less slightly gaming-oriented and slightly more workstation-oriented.

Thanks for pointing out PSU, I have a 600 watt one and I thought I'd be OK with it, but since it's recommended 650 for 2070s, I guess I should buy a new one.

// also, figured out why prices changed on computeruniverse: somehow devilery country switched to Germany and thus VAT was applied
The fact is that ryzen 3rd generation has knocked the ball out of the park and gives a very tough competition to intel...
but if u can afford the intel build, go for it, even the i5 u posted in ur question is still a good processor...but when it comes to value for money, the ryzen shines...
the 5700xt is also a very competitive GPU giving close competition to 2070...
So all comes down to price to performance ...
i wud suggest u to go for intel cpu and amd GPU
or go for amd ryzen cpu and nvidia GPU...

Your build is reasonable.
A balanced gamer will budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
You are spot on there.
Your parts will allow the use of the intel performance maximizer
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
Don't forget that you will need a cpu cooler.
Air is fine.

Vengeance is a brand, you may have some cheaper options for a 2 x 8gb ram kit.
There is little value in more than 16gb unless you are running batch apps that can use ram as a workfile.

Ram speed is not important to intel processors.

Love a ssd for windows. I will never again build without one.
On a budget, you can use a normal sata drive in either 2.5" or m.2 format .
You will lose a bit of sequential speed of the pcie drive, but you will not notice the difference.
Most of what windows does is small random I/O.

If your psu is of decent quality and has a 6 and an 8 pin connector, it will be ok for a RTX2080 super.

Reactions: Tkachov