Upgrading my GPU & potential other components.

dannytzdisd

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi all,

It's my first time here, got linked through Twitter so appreciate all any any help. I used to be a keen PC gamer, played over 1000 hours on several games.. Got into family life but now I'm getting time back into my PC but I'm stuck in the past and falling into the darkness!

I play a variety of games on my PC from GTA V to PUBG to Battlefield and Dota 2, DayZ, all requiring different aspects but I like to play my games on High - Ultra settings.

Currently I have the following

- i5 3570k ivy bridge (Overclocked to 4.4)
- MSI NVIDIA GTX 680
- Asus p8z77-v lx
- 580w PSU

I'm looking to upgrade to the GTX 1070 do you think this is worth it and will my current build be able to handle the card with no problems on ultra because lets face it.. no-one wants to play with less than the best settings haha

thanks for your time!

Solution

dannytzdisd

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I have a 580w PSU available.. I don't really want to upgrade the whole rig if I don't want to. If I can just upgrade the GPU and it will work for a few years then that'd be great.

WHAT is the PSU? Not how many Watts. It may be a 580W, but if it is from a horrible brand it won't do you any good.

Also, with those specs it should last another year or 2 maximum. The 3XXX series is pretty old and unless you do some serious OC'ing it will show its age quite soon.

dannytzdisd

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

XILENCE 580W DUAL 12V RAIL SLI READY RTL - That's my PSU

Most of the information for that PSU is in Russian, and it does not seem to have too much of a certification for it.

I don't know but I do not have a good feeling about it. It might have served you well until now, but I would not trust it further. I would recommend a PSU swap with a good PSU, like one from EVGA, Seasonic or Corsair even. Then you can upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 depending on what you feel like. I would go with the 1070 for Ultra on 1080p.

dannytzdisd

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

27" ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hz Nvidia G-Sync 2K, IPS Monitor, 2560x1440 4ms, 1000:1, DP/HDMI/2x USB 3.0 Black Red - That's the monitor I have so I'm set on graphics card.. Potential PSU upgrade, I should be able to play high-ultra settings with those upgrades?

At 1440p, the 1070 should do well. But at 1440p, you may need to reduce some settings for the game to hit constant 60 FPS and above. I would try to go for the 1070Ti, or even the 1080. That should serve well for 1440p. Or if you got with the 1070, it is still a good choice but you may need to tweak some settings here and there.

Solution

dannytzdisd

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I've been looking at the 1070TI it looks good and the settings on it are close to the 1080 which would be nice! I really appreciate you replying on this you've reinforced my thought process!!