System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and netflix

Parts to Upgrade: Gpu

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg tigerdirect amazon

Parts Preferences: any

Overclocking:
No
SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments:Doing a new build in 6 to 8 months just need something to hold me over

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: current gpu died

What i have now:

mobo - EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

cpu - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor HH80562PH0678MK - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

dead gpu - XFX GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card - FREE Company of Heroes PC Game, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, Dual VGA Support

ram - Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Dominator Dual Channel 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Are you upgrading your monitor when you do build your new system later on down the line? If so, then a $150 budget kind of puts you into an ugly spot. The best card you're going to get is probably the Radeon HD7770. I don't see any reason to go with anything more expensive than this Sapphire Radeon HD7770 for $120. It's probably overkill for your current monitor resolution, but somewhat underpowered for a new system with a higher resolution monitor. I'd probably see if there were any way to push the budget to an HD7850.

-Wolf sends

sevenduce

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yes I'm planning on new monitors my budgit is around 2500. was just planning on getting a tempory card for now and upgrading it later this year. Or would it be better just to fork out 350+ for a card now?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Couple ways to go here:

1) Drop down to a lower cost card and sell it for as much as you can when you build your new system. We're not talking great performance now, but it should be ok until you're ready to build. Selling at that time won't recoup much of the original cost, but you should get something back.

2) Go ahead and shell out now for the card you would get 6-8 months from now. Seriously under utilized until the new system is built, but easily transferred over to the new system when you're ready to purchase that.

Personally, I'd probably go with option 2.

-Wolf sends