Upgrading my network. Suggestions please

Briggzee1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi. My current router is about 7 years old and it's time to upgrade. My current system is a Netgear Router connected to a Netgear range extender. My home is 3200 sq ft. 1600 up 1600 down. Currently upstairs is where 90% of the wifi traffic goes but the basement will be finished soon and I need something to cover the whole house. I have above intermediate networking skills. I've narrowed my choices down to Google Wifi or Orbi just because of personal preference but I will take suggestions ( just upgrade my router and keep range extender?). Amazon has the Orbi for $120 off right now so I'm leaning towards that. I currently have my PC and PS4 hardwired but I could do without the PS4 if necessary. There will be up to 10 devices connected. Thanks

Solution
There are lots of options. Have you considered Ethernet wiring in all or part of your basement? When my house was redone, I wired Ethernet to a number of places and repurposed an old router connected via Cat-6 (old router in bridge mode) to serve as a range extender. No need to get rid of all of that old equipment when it can be put to good use. I also wired whatever I could since it's superior to wifi and leaves the wifi network to things that truly need it.

Wired:
Computer (HTPC)
Router serving as a range-extender
Apple TV
Sonos Connect AMP

I also threw in a few strategically placed Cat 6 wall outlets where I could so that I had the option to wire more stuff in the future.

Unmanaged switches and patch panels are cheap (<$150...
I would look at the Ubiquity Unifi line.

I run a Unifi Security gate, 16 port 150w PoE switch, and 2 UAP-AC lite AP

The AP's come with power injectors as well as mesh together so really you only need a hard line to one in the middle of the house and the others would mesh off it. I hard wired everything in the house since its a one story with basement, AP's are on each end of the house and cover everything so walking through the house on a table is no issue.

Sep 22, 2016
There are lots of options. Have you considered Ethernet wiring in all or part of your basement? When my house was redone, I wired Ethernet to a number of places and repurposed an old router connected via Cat-6 (old router in bridge mode) to serve as a range extender. No need to get rid of all of that old equipment when it can be put to good use. I also wired whatever I could since it's superior to wifi and leaves the wifi network to things that truly need it.

Wired:
Computer (HTPC)
Router serving as a range-extender
Apple TV
Sonos Connect AMP

I also threw in a few strategically placed Cat 6 wall outlets where I could so that I had the option to wire more stuff in the future.

Unmanaged switches and patch panels are cheap (<$150 for both-I got a 16 port switch)

Solution