Upgrading PC: Intel or AMD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Well from everything so far I guess these would be my choices.
http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-SLI-2-Way-DualBIOS-Motherboard/dp/B00K2RQAQY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431195990&sr=1-2&keywords=z97-x
http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Black-Intel-Motherboards-GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK/dp/B00K872IT6/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431195990&sr=1-5&keywords=z97-x
http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Black-Intel-Motherboards-GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK/dp/B00K872JZ4/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431195990&sr=1-6&keywords=z97-x
And even though it wasn't really suggested, but its on sale: http://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-GA-Z97X-GAMING-Built--Amplifier-Motherboard/dp/B00JKCHEQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431195990&sr=1-1&keywords=z97-x

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Thanks, I'll compare the two to see which one seems like the better choice. And I was just more familiar with gigabyte, that's all.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Okay, so these are my last two choices.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Motherboard & Intel I5 4690K = ~$480 CAD

OR

ASUS Z97-A ATX & Intel i7-4790k = ~$570 CAD

What would you choose? One has a better motherboard, while the other has a better CPU.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Neither, the maximus is overpriced and you dont need an i7 for gaming. You can record with the h.264 encoder and not use cpu encoding, i do it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $326.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 21:27 EDT-0400

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

So you wouldn't even get an i7 even if you would be constantly streaming video games and rendering videos? And thanks for that motherboard, never saw that one before.

By the way, nice LS7.

PS The price for those two parts in Canada is about $450

DubbleClick

Admirable
The z97-a is "overpriced", too, but so are most asus products.

The z97-killer doesn't support sli, by the way.

If you're also doing a fair share of video rendering (including editing), it comes down to what software you use. For sony vegas, it seems HT doesn't really help. For adobe premiere, I'm not sure - need to test it. So if you tell us what exact software you will use, we can tell you if an I7 would benefit you. For the motherboard choice, the two I posted seemed to be priced best.

For premiere, I found this set of bench's. Comparing the 4790 (non k) at 3.6ghz vs the 4690 at 3.5ghz, the i7 is around 6% faster. The same bench's show 11s time improvement between a ht enabled 4790 and 4790k just from a 400mhz speed increase which works out to roughly 2.5-2.75s per 100mhz. Given the 4790 is 100mhz faster than the 4690 they compared, not the whole 6% speed increase is due to ht. Part of it's due to the 100mhz faster clock speed, meaning ht offers roughly 4% performance in this particular bench using premiere.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2015/-31-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC,3722.html

DubbleClick

Admirable
Seems barely worth it and mostly caused by clock speed and measurement inaccuracies. Or it was the increased cache size. The software I found hyperthreading showing benefit (like winrar, cinebench, handbrake) the improvement was always between 20-30%. With little differences, it turned out that when repeating the test, HT off was quicker and upon repeating again HT on again, so thats probably just a matter of OS scheduling.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

The programs I use most of the time are Cyberlink Power director and Sony Vegas. I also like to create 3D projects in Photoshop which are noticeably slow with my current set up which freezes while rendering.

And does the fact that the i7 has 8 threads vs the i5s 4 threads mean anything?

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015
And thanks Dubble for pointing out that the mobo didn't support sli. I made the mistake of only looking at one source which claimed it had sli compatibility.

DubbleClick

Admirable
The z97x-killer supports SLI, the non x one doesn't.
And yes, 8 threads versus 4 threads does mean something, it allows for better scheduling and therefore more throughput in the same time. However, Sony Vegas doesn't scale at all with hyperthreading from what I could see, all my results show no consequent advantage of i7 vs i5 or other way round, even when I played around with maximum thread value in the options. I can't tell for cyberlink power director though, have not ever heard of that program.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Yeah, Cyber link isn't necessarily the most well known program. Sadly, the Z97x-killer is about $240, which is more than I'd like to spend on the mobo. I've been looking for mobos that support SLI and have more than 4 true power phases, because apparently 4 power phases aren't necessarily optimal for those who wish to OC. Sure, it can use the doubler for 8 virtual phases, but apparently 6 or more true phases are better.

For a z97 motherboard with sli and more than 4 digital power phases, the asus sabertooth mark 2 (8 digital phases, no doublers) and gigabyte z97x ud5h-bk (6 digital phases in 6+2 with doublers) are both around the $200cad mark + shipping.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-sabertoothz97mark2
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud5hbk

The gigabyte black series is pre tested and comes with a 5yr warranty if that makes any difference to you. I have the non bk which is identical aside from color scheme and shorter warranty and it's a nice solid board.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

I'm leaning more towards the UD5H. Seems to be more of what I wanted. Its more expensive compared to what I have now but I guess it would be better to spend more now and not have to get a mobo for that much longer.

DubbleClick

Admirable
Yeah, regarding overclocking I can confirm there is a difference, but it only comes noticeable when you're out of safe bounds anyway. Between the z97x-sli (4 phase no doubler) and the ud5h-bk the difference on my cpu was that 4.9v needed "only" 1.4v instead of 1.45v to be stable and 5ghz got application stable with 1.52v - instead of not at all. I might have needed a few mv less for 4.8ghz too (like 0.001v), but below that they were the same and 1.3(5)v is the recommended maximum for high end air/water anyway.
On one other cpu (I7 4770k) there was no difference at all, but it only got fully stable at 4.5ghz anyway. 4.6 crashed on either board despite 1.35v. And the second I7 4790k showed absolutely no difference - it seems it scaled well to lowering the (input and core) voltage and at 4.8ghz just stopped working when 4.7ghz was achievable with only 1.25v and 1.45v vccin.

Long story for a few words: if you're looking for an overclock for safe operation, the motherboard choice isn't too important amongst z97 boards. What you should truly look at are the number of sata/usb3 ports you have use for and other features you might like. If the ud5h has everything you need and want and you don't play for things you won't use, I can only second your choice of it.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

If that is the case then I will go back to the Gigabyte and Asus you had earlier suggested. It seems as though the UD3H would be the better choice in my case because it seems to have a little extra in terms of slots and whatnot. I don't plan on going too crazy or unstable with the CPU and mobo, given that I'm new to it.

Edit: I'll be ordering my CPU today because today is the last day that its $50 off the 4690k. I would like to order the mobo with it so I don't have to pay double the express fees. Time to quit being indecisive, me!

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015

I'll probably go with the UD3H and use the money I'll save to buy a new HDD.

Grim Prototype

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Ok! It's done! No turning back now!

I ordered the i5-4690k and the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX. About $475 with the taxes and express shipping.

Thanks everyone for your help and thanks Dubble for taking so much time to answer back!
If you don't mind, I know who to go to for help in the future.

TRENDING THREADS