Upgrading to 4x Corsair VS2GB667D2 on Intel 975XBX

MarcusTX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this.

So I'd been wanting to upgrade my motherboard's memory for some time but I never really had a reason. Long story short, my hard drive died and XP is old so I bought a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed the x64 with my E6600 proc. Windows 7 "rating" system said my RAM was pulling me down (I had 2 gb) and I didn't feel it was a smooth as it should be so I bought RAM and installed it. It was the wrong type for my motherboard (the motherboard says it supports up to 667 MHz memory,I misread the 800 MHz bus as that) so I took it back and got these.

4x 2GB Corsair DDR2 5300 667 MHz dimms (VS2GB667D2)

After extensive swapping and testing I found this out:

If all 4 are in, the bios recognizes them and autodetects the correct settings (per the Corsair website: http://www.corsair.com/memory/industry-standard/ddr3/vs2gb667d2.html) but when windows is loading it says "Starting Windows" then reboot. When it comes back up it asks if I want to repair windows then defaults into the repair where the "loading bar" fills and then it sits indefinately.

If I use just 1 or 2 modules (I tried all of them individually), windows loads fine and there is no problem.

I called the warehouse I purchased them at and the representative at the memory section said I should flash the bios and if that doesn't fix it there is a problem with my motherboard.

Now, I really don't understand how that can be but I'm open to suggestions (I am in the proccess of flashing the bios - not yet done). I have real doubts about this so if anyone can give me some input about this it would be a big help.

Note: I did try to do a bit of research on the web (I tried a lot) and the closest to having the problem as I described was in a corporate setup. Their fix was to copy from the working system the "windows hardware catalog" file, which as a PC owner I don't have. Hope this helps whoever is to be my savior.

:cry:

Solution
Solution

MarcusTX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

There are no errors showing up in Device manager. Windows runs fine with just the two modules. If I use all four it starts freaking out -- It will get to the "Starting Windows" screen and reboot before the colorful windows flag can display. I looked at more specs for the motherboard. It said it has tested for up to DDR2 667MHz non-ECC ram with double sided 8x128MB modules on each side. This ram is that but with 8x256MB modules on one side.

That is the version of BIOS. I used all four and the motherboard seems to run fine with it but I'm starting to think that the latest BIOS update just didn't include support for this memory density (something I've seen mentioned in my research). Honestly though when it comes to this I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Edit: As mentioned Intel stopped supporting the motherboard and won't be making drivers for it in the future. As powerful as it was, it's been a huge hassle all around. First finding the right drivers for it was difficult, then the bios needed to be updated every other month. And I'm quite positive the onboard SATA controller has been murdering my hard drives. But to see them actually post they won't be supporting their product while the specs are still valid has helped me clear one thing up in this mess: I will NEVER buy another intel motherboard. For that matter, if I had a better option for proccessor I'd go for that.

MarcusTX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
For anyone who is interested in how this turned out:

The best solution I could come up with was to use the two old 1 gig sticks and the two new 2 gig sticks for a total of 6 gigs ram. This does work as it is dual channel. This improves the performance but not as much as I would have liked.