Question Upgrading to a RTX 2060, but which one to choose?

_Peejay

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Hi all

I'm in the process of upgrading my system. I use my system mainly for playing Battlefield 5.
At the moment I am waiting for the new Ryzen CPU's to be available, but i'm already looking into upgrading my GPU. At the moment, I have a Gigabyte GTX 960 (4GB). I can just play BF5 now, with some tweaks and playing at the lowest possible settings.

I've been reading and watching reviews of different kinds of cards, but I still can't seem to decide which card to pick. Making things more difficult is the fact that the ASUS ROG cards are on a €40 cashback at the moment of writing this question.

For you information, this is my system at the moment:
  • MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
  • CPU: i5 4690k (OC @ 4.6 Ghz)
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 (4GB)
  • PSU: Cooler Master G750M 750W (80+ bronze)
  • Storage: N/A
Like I said above, i'm now looking to buy a new GPU. I already looked into the 1660Ti, but the price difference/performance is in favor of the RTX 2060.

At the moment, the Asus Geforce ROG Strix RTX 2060 O6G Gaming is priced at €450 with a €40 cashback. In comparison, the cheapest RTX 2060 that I am willing to buy is the MSI Geforce 6GB D6 RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC, priced at €375.
This means that the price difference between these cards is about €35. All the other RTX 2060 have a price range in between these two cards.

I am wondering if it is good value to buy the ROG strix card, because it is "on sale" at the moment. It is still an expensive card, but the €40 cashback is making the choice difficult.
Is the performance gain, better cooling and higher overclocks of this card worth the extra cash?

Please help me out! Thanks.

Last edited:

_Peejay

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Okay, and what is the reason? The price, performance, looks?

I'm planning to use this card for quite a long time. Is the extra OC headroom and better cooling of the STRIX card not enough to justify the extra cost?

The Ventus seems interesting indeed, but will it be enough to keep it running smoothly for a few years?

frequentpilgrim

Prominent
Nov 23, 2018
I'm planning to use this card for quite a long time. Is the extra OC headroom and better cooling of the STRIX card not enough to justify the extra cost?

The Ventus seems interesting indeed, but will it be enough to keep it running smoothly for a few years?

Yes. Both cards have similar warranty anyway. The best method of picking a GPU is to find one that has a decent heatsink from a brand that is quality. More expensive heatsinks don't create nearly as much performance benefit as their price would have you think. This is why it's generally agreed that the Ventus is the sweet spot for the 2060. It has a good heatsink, it isn't terrible for some other reason, and the brand is good.

Reactions: _Peejay

_Peejay

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Yes. Both cards have similar warranty anyway. The best method of picking a GPU is to find one that has a decent heatsink from a brand that is quality. More expensive heatsinks don't create nearly as much performance benefit as their price would have you think. This is why it's generally agreed that the Ventus is the sweet spot for the 2060. It has a good heatsink, it isn't terrible for some other reason, and the brand is good.

Thanks for your response! I ordered the Ventus and the performance is better than expected. The card boosts up to 1980Mhz in game (BF5) with a maximum temperature of 50°. This is running stock!