Question Upgrading to an AIO for my Ryzen 5 3600 - 120mm or 240mm?

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Hey everyone! I'm planning to upgrade to an AIO cooler for my PC. Right now, I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600 (stock, no overclock) with a push-pull air cooler setup (Snowman 4-heatpipe cooler). My primary use cases are gaming and video editing/rendering in Premiere Pro. When editing/rendering, my temps hit 60-80°C, with 80°C being the max during full video exports. Idle temps range from 45-55°C.

My main goal is to reduce these temps, but I'd like to save money if possible. Would a 120mm AIO be enough for my needs, especially compared to my current air cooler? Also, if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: MSI A520M-A Pro
  • GPU: RX 580 8GB
  • RAM: 32GB
  • PSU: 650W
  • Case: Inplay Meteor 20 ATX (random budget case)

Lutfij

Titan
Also, if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?
I would advise on going with a 240mm AIO. I honestly don't know why 120mm's exist since they aren't exactly the best option even in an SFF build.

Hang on.

Snowman 4-heatpipe cooler
Can you pass on a link to the coolera?

Case: Inplay Meteor 20 ATX (random budget case)
I'm seeing that Inplay have a number of cases in the Meteor series. Does your case have a mesh front panel? If so, how much air is being pushed towards the inside of the case? What are you ambient room air temps?

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Also, if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?
I would advise on going with a 240mm AIO. I honestly don't know why 120mm's exist since they aren't exactly the best option even in an SFF build.

Hang on.

Snowman 4-heatpipe cooler
Can you pass on a link to the coolera?

Case: Inplay Meteor 20 ATX (random budget case)
I'm seeing that Inplay have a number of cases in the Meteor series. Does your case have a mesh front panel? If so, how much air is being pushed towards the inside of the case? What are you ambient room air temps?
Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely consider a 240mm AIO.
also Here are the links:

Case:
Cpu Cooler: I’m currently using a total of 10 fans:
  • 3 intake fans at the front
  • 2 exhaust fans on top
  • 1 exhaust fan at the back
  • 2 fans on the CPU cooler
  • 2 fans underneath the GPU
My room temperature is around 26°C since I’m in a tropical climate.

I think the airflow is pretty good, but it feels like the cooler itself can’t handle prolonged use, especially during longer editing/rendering sessions. I’m not entirely sure, though.

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Do you really have a temperature problem that needs a solution??
120 aio coolers are mostly worthless.
Any decent air cooler with a 120mm fan can match it.

60-80c. is not very hot for a fully loaded pc.
Your case is fine for any air cooler you might want to use.
Look at the thermalright peerless assassin cooler or similar.
https://www.newegg.com/thermalright...MI1pjajsyQiQMVmwIMAh0KhxDqEAQYASABEgITFPD_BwE
Yes, I haven’t experienced any actual overheating issues, but I’m just trying to reduce the max load temps from hitting 80°C if possible. Here’s the link to my current
CPU cooler:
Regarding the cooler you suggested with 6 heatpipes, would upgrading from a 4-heatpipe to a 6-heatpipe cooler make a noticeable difference in cooling performance? If so, I’d definitely prefer that over an AIO since they’re much more affordable.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I’m currently using a total of 10 fans:
More fans doesn't always mean a cooler PC. My video editing rig in a Lian Li PC-S80 case has two 120mm front fans, a 120mm plus 80mm on the back, two fans on the Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and one in the PSU.

When editing/rendering, my temps hit 60-80°C, with 80°C being the max during full video exports.
My 7950X (same maximum 95°C as your CPU) peaked at 90°C on all 16-cores yesterday during an 8-hour Topaz Video AI upscale. Towards the end of the session, the room was probably up to 26°C due to all the waste heat from the CPU (184W max) and GPU (170W max). Your 3600's 60-80°C is way below the "red line". No need to get it any lower.

if I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600X in the future, would a 120mm AIO still handle the temps during video editing and rendering?
I installed a stock AMD 3800X Prism cooler on a 5600X and it copes fine. The Ryzen 3600 and 5600X are both nominal 65W devices. The 3800X is a nominal 105W CPU and was supplied with a more capable boxed cooler. Unless you're considering a heavy overclock, at 240mm AIO should be fine for the 5600X.

If you want a cheap dual fan air cooler, the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE has 7 heatpipes and at $35.90, is only $1 more than the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE with 6 heatpipes (Amazon.com). As with any big air cooler, check if it will fit in your case.

81yQhhvrf9L._SL1500_.jpg

I used the Thermalright SI-100 on an Intel Xeon because it's lower profile and supports LGA2066. Price $31.99.
61CPv4D-9tL._SL1500_.jpg