upgrading Video card help

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
hey guys I was running an the below config and upgraded only CPU/Mobo and need some help on whether i should upgrade my graphics card or not. The primary use for the pc would be gaming.

Old config
CPU - Intel Core I5 6600K
Mobo- Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1
RAM - Corsair 16GB 3000Mhz
Video Card - Asus Strix Nvidia Geforce 970

New config
CPU - AMD Ryzen 2700X
Mobo- Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII

As per the hireachy chart on tomshardware it appears as though there are not many cards that are better than what im using now. I have always been wary of mixing Nvidia with AMD cpu's. Would it make sense for me to upgrade my graphics card or would it be more beneficial to upgrade to SLI on the 970 and would i see any improvements in gaming? My budget would be around 25,000 INR which is approx 350$.

Solution
Pretty much logan's comments. Adding that the 1070 Ti (here at least) is of a similar price to the 1070 for many models. I might use the 970 for a while to save some upgrade cash.
If you can get one within your budget, a 1070 Ti would be a big jump up from the GTX 970. A GTX 1070 would be a step up too, but the differences in price and performance between the two, give more performance for your cash with the 1070 Ti.

The GTX 970 will easily work with the 2700x, but if your main things is gaming, you'll need to focus on single core speeds, and the 6600K isn't all that bad. It does struggle in cores / threads though. A Ryzen 5 2600x would be on a par with your 6600K on single / quad speeds, but double the 6600K on multi-core performance.

6600K - 4 cores; 4 threads
2600x - 6 cores; 12 threads

And at around 2/3 the price of a 2700x, you might have a little more for the 1070 Ti.

MrMeth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I think its only the TR parts that are affected by NVIDIA drivers and either way I'm 80% sure there was a patch from nvidia to remedy the issues. What resolution do you play at ? I personally would upgrade considering the 970 only having 3.5gigs of usable vram. Sli support is pretty much non existent at this point, so I wouldn't go that route. Your best option would be sell your 970 and look at something in the 10 series or if you can afford it the 20 series.

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
thanks for the quick responses so you dont recommend the Rx580/590? I have already upgraded the mobo and cpu to AMD. Only video card was pending. The 1070Ti is way out of budget its 55000 rupees here thats the amount i spent for the ryzen 7 2700x and the asus mobo combined. My monitor is full HD 144hz but i dont need to play at such a high resolution.

Not sure why you're wary of Nvidia GPU with AMD CPU. The only issue I've come across was going from the onboard gfx of an AMD APU with AMD gfx drivers, and had to install Nvidia gfx drivers too. The system was a little 'thoughtful' over the change ( :D ), but soon got over it once I had un-installed the AMD drivers.

Using AMD and Nvidia on my system. Works fine. Just take a moment on the custom software installs (Nvidia or AMD) and don't install anything you don't need. I tend towards the driver-only setups.

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
i dunno in the old days there used to be an issue where amd would not play well with ati and vice versa, used to get BSOD quite often. After which I have generally made it a point to buy a video card depending on what cpu im using. So which card would you recommend for me to upgrade to or should i just wait for a while and see if anything new drops?

logainofhades

Titan
Your 970 is still a fairly decent 1080p card. About even with a 1060 3gb. An RX 580 wouldn't be a massive upgrade, as it's roughly GTX 1060/GTX 980 levels of performance. A GTX 1070 is the minimum I would consider, or a Vega 56 on the AMD side. Anything slower isn't much of an upgrade.