I currently have a system with Win XP Pro w/SP1. I had updated this version
using Microsoft update services including SP2. However, the computer was
experiencing several major problems so I decided to use the OS CD to repair
the problems. Inasmuch as the OS CD was for XP Pro SP1, it would not permit
the CD to be used for repair because it contained an older version of the OS
than was on the system. Therefore, I purchased a new copy of XP Pro w/SP2
(full OS). Upon reloading, the new OS CD recommended that it be used to
upgrade the system (rather than a full install) in order to maintain files &
programs. Everything was going good through collecting information, dynamic
update, & preparing installation until the setup stopped running while
installing Windows (39 minutes remaining to complete setup). I have tried
turning power off & restarting a couple of times, but each time setup returns
to the same place & stops.

Is there anything I can do to cause setup to continue? Are there other
alternatives?

jimr

First rule. Never, ever reinstall an OS to solve *any* perceived problem
until the root cause of the problem has been identified and addressed. A
reinstall *never* fixes hardware and *never* fixes an application intermix
or faulting issue. In fact attempting to reinstall/repair frequently
exacerbates the effort required to solve the real problem.

Rock and hard spot time. You can attempt to isolate an application issue by
using recovery console to disable all but MS centric services and startup
items. Odd as it may seem, doing a repair reinstall does in fact allow
services such as 3rd party firewalls, AV and optical burning to run. These
can in turn cause setup to do strange things.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310602

--
Walter Clayton