UPS % load for most efficient power delivery to PSU

Carpy2

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I'm looking at picking up a UPS. I read over the stickied guide on UPS's but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Under full load my computer draws just under 400 watts. As far as I understand, my gold plus efficiency rated 800 watt PSU runs at peak efficiency (90-95% or something) while under ~50% load, so this is okie dokie.

On the UPS side however, is there a peak efficiency range I should look for? For example, is their efficiency curve similar to what you would expect in a PSU, meaning I should be looking for a ~1200VA/800W UPS (or whatever common size is closest to just under double my max usage) so that it's in the 50% load, "max efficiency", zone? Or should I just get whatever will cover the 400 watts with the most sinusoidal wave for the time I need it supplied?

I hope this all makes sense, fundamentally I don't really have any understanding of how PSU's or UPS's work so I don't even know if my question is even a question. They both plug into the wall... and they supply power to the other thing... :)

So, if my computer at max pulls 400 watts (it was idling around 270 iirc, 400 worst case spike or something), then the UPS rating I should be starting my search around is 400w*1.6 for the ~700VA value, so something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Battery-Outlets-ECO850LCD/dp/B004ZMESXE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536423762&sr=8-5&keywords=tripp+lite+ups&refinements=p_89%3ATripp+Lite

This will supply 425 watts for 3 minutes (max load) - 12 minutes (idle).

However, unlike a PSU, will running a UPS that is overkill be detrimental to efficiency, such as this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Line-Interactive-Protection-SMART1500LCDT/dp/B00AX9Z7W4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536423762&sr=8-4&keywords=tripp%2Blite%2Bups&refinements=p_89%3ATripp%2BLite&tag=tomshardware_forum_vgl-20&th=1

This will supply power for much longer which is nice, but is rated to supply double what I will be drawing and is more in the wattage range you would expect your PSU to be in (once again does this even matter?)

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to better understand from a energy saving perspective what your UPS power rating should be based on how many watts you plan on drawing from it (and if it even matters). I'm not overly concerned about money savings, but if I can do something to make my setup more efficient for a few extra $'s I'd like to. Or in the very least decide I don't want to spend the extra $, but I learned something :)

Carpy2

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
The more I'm reading I'm thinking I'm just misunderstanding how the UPS works.

Is the following correct?

The power rating is only for when it's using the battery. If the UPS is not utilizing the battery, then it just functions as an extension cord to my PSU, so power rating doesn't matter at all except in the situation where you are using the battery. And since I only need it for like 10 minutes, it's not worth worrying about efficiency for such a short amount of time.

Therefore, I only need a UPS that can supply the 400 watts I need for whatever VA allows me to do so for however long I want to, and do not need to worry about anything else.

Or am I mistaken again :p