[SOLVED] UPS matter

Nov 15, 2018
so hi everyone i am currently in need of an UPS due to electrical instability.

ive got ryzen 3 with rx570 with silver rated 600w PSU, the thing is i dont know which specs the UPS i need to purchase, will be an APC UPS with 1100va enough? i dont think i can get any higher than that because it is already costly enough for me. i dont wanna spend for an ups more than my current processor that would be ridiculous.

and also in case i wanna set up for dual rx570 crossfire would it still be fine?

thanks & cheers

Solution
If you use one of those online PSU calculators, you'll find your system is estimated to use much less than 600w, so even when including the monitor you should be well within the limits of the UPS.

APC 1100VA UPSes are generally rated for 550w-660w maximum, depending on model. Note if you were actually pulling that much when the power cut, runtime is only about 4 minutes at maximum load, when the batteries are new. Lead-acid batteries don't age too gracefully over ~2 years, especially if you will be significantly draining them often.

That's why it's generally a good idea to oversize a UPS as much as you are able to--even after the batteries have degraded some, you could still get some decent runtime out of them to 5+ years...
If you use one of those online PSU calculators, you'll find your system is estimated to use much less than 600w, so even when including the monitor you should be well within the limits of the UPS.

APC 1100VA UPSes are generally rated for 550w-660w maximum, depending on model. Note if you were actually pulling that much when the power cut, runtime is only about 4 minutes at maximum load, when the batteries are new. Lead-acid batteries don't age too gracefully over ~2 years, especially if you will be significantly draining them often.

That's why it's generally a good idea to oversize a UPS as much as you are able to--even after the batteries have degraded some, you could still get some decent runtime out of them to 5+ years. Used UPSes tend to have very low resale value so often you can pick up a giant one + replace all the batteries for less than a tiny new one costs.

Reactions: rifqimujahid11
Solution
Nov 15, 2018
Beforehand thank you for replying BFG-9000 youve really made great point, very well made ser. to be honest im not really sure wheter or not i should be using an UPS because i just got paranoid due to occasional electrical overload (ive no idea the accurate term) thats causing the power goes out, for what i have experienced the phonemenon was only happened at roughly once or twice within a week or not happening at all. so is it actually worth getting?

also while im not using preventative measure what is the worst thing that could possibly happen, some where i found it'd damage the motherboard and hardisk drive or else it would do system crash and that's gonna be so devastating.

currently im using be quiet ! pure power 10 silver rated here's the link https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/926 is it a decent PSU? somewhat i got worried it may explode if not treated accountably.

sorry for my english, im not very keen at english writing thank you.

A power cut twice a week is actually very often--in much of the world this kind of unreliability is only seen on farms or corrupt old cities that have long neglected infrastructure repairs.

With a decent surge protector (because the power returning may be worse than the cut), the only real danger is corruption of any data cached but not yet written to disk. Eventually this can corrupt the OS so it is good to have backups, and even OS images for convenience. Power cuts do not damage hardware but can cause wear on specific things such as HDDs (there are a finite number of power-off self-parking events they are rated for, although exceeding this would only then allow a head crash on impacts)

With unreliable power, the major hazard is losing any work you haven't saved yet, so whether a UPS is worth it or not depends on how you are using your computer (and how hard it would be to reconstruct your work). Modern Office programs are great at auto-saving temporary files nowadays, and games tend to save your progress to the beginning of the level anyway.