Question UPS Randomly entering "Self Test"

Aug 17, 2019
Hi all :)

Have enjoyed helping many ppl on tech forums for years, but now it's time to ask you wonderful people for some help . . .

I have a Titan 3K online UPS that is randomly going into 'Self Test' and beeping for no reason that I can find.

It has been working wonderfully without fault for over two years, and I have just recently replaced all of it's 8x 12v 7.2 AH battery's with brand new 12v 9 AH battery's.

This battery replacement was due to the unit beeping every now and again and once turned off and shutdown I'd found three(3) of the battery's had not been holding charge and were between 10.5v to 11.5v. So I replaced them all, and restarted the UPS.

Now every now and again it just randomly beeps and enters a "Self Test" showing the usual LED lights for self test, and recording all self tests into it's log file. It has no set frequency to this, and sometimes doesn't do it for half hour or so, then will randomly self test again once or twice.... Very strange !!!

I have connected the unit via RS232 to an old XP laptop running WinPower and it all looks fine, and battery tests fine etc also. I have checked it's incoming line voltage and Hz thresholds etc and nothing has changed an appears all normal.

What to do ? Is there some form of 'Reset' or 'Calibration' I need to do ?

Just as background, this Titan 3K online UPS (Made by Centralion I think) is only used as a standalone for a home office PC with minimal load (Under 10%) on 240 Volts in Australia and is not networked or connected to any other device.

Please any idea's or help would be gold ;)

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link show your UPS?

http://www.centralion.com/download/Titan 1-10K.pdf

The brochure indicates that the UPS has an Auto Self Testing System that immediately performs an inspection when the unit is powered on.

I noted that you checked the incoming line voltage and found no problems. However, is it possible that there are interim drops in the incoming line voltage - just enough of a drop to make the unit initiate a self-test as if the unit was just powered on?

What else, if anything is on that circuit? Or perhaps a loose connection somewhere?

Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for your quick reply [emoji1360]

Yes, that’s definitely worth a try. I might try a new power lead and then a different power outlet as a ‘process of elimination’ perhaps....

All the line voltages incoming we’re well within the UPS thresholds, but even a microsecond drop or spike may cause a ‘self test’ response I guess.

Thanks again [emoji1374] :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk