Upstage fill-in mics for live operetta recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,
I'm interested in improving the consistency of recordings made of our
G&S shows. We perform them in the Dancehouse theatre, Manchester, UK
(if anyone knows it). We have a chorus of around 50, and a full
orchestra (which is a bit of a squeeze as you may imagine)

This year we used the following setup for recording (to add to the dvd
of the show and for a seperate cd):

Pair of AKG451's dowstage centre, Pair of AKG (unknown) shotguns DSL
and DSR.
AKG (unknown) stereo pair over orchestra, as well as a pair of Rode
NT3s over the percussion (the orchestra were off SR in the auditorium,
as the venue doesn't have a pit, and the stage is about 18" high)

The whole lot was patched through a spirit live desk via the pre-fade
dir-outs into a motu 828, and into my PC.

The recording we got was pretty good. However, we could really do with
more coverage up-stage (for those who know the dancehouse, it is a
quite deep stage, and we are an amateur group with a broad range of
singing abilities).

I've been considering flying a pair of omni-directional mics upstage
from the grid. I've also heard good things about the use of Crown PZMs
(either bolted to Perspex or removed from their plates and used as
omni mics on their own).

Alternatively, would another pair of Rode NT3's flown upstage be of
any good (the grid is at about 15' odd) be of any use (I know they're
not omni mics, but I like them :)

Before anyone suggests, we want to avoid radio mics as we don't have
the cash to do them justice, and I REALLY HATE cheap radio mics!)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Ben

Right, I'll give that a go, thanks for your help.

Ben