Question URGENT No signal after upgrading cpu please help!

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
PC SPECS:
Graphics card: Radeon RX550/550 Series
Ram: 8gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h
Power Supply: 450 watts
OLD CPU that works: Intel Pentium G2030
NEW CPU not working?: Intel Core i5-3570K

When I install the new cpu and turn on the computer there is no signal on monitor after pluggin hdmi into gpu. but the fans are still running and it beeps at the beginning. But when I go back to my old cpu everything works normally.
I already tried to update the bios, nothing came of it and yes I confirmed that the cpu is compatible and that I have enough watts with the source.
I've tried removing gpu and adjusting ram but if the old cpu still is working with ram and everything y would the new one not.

I'v done everything I can think of only thing I can think right now is that the cpu is broken which i know would be very unlikely also considering every fan runs and the computer posts with a single beep meening it was succsessful so ... I'm not sure. I've been questioning the integrated graphics that come with the cpu but the old cpu also has integrated graphics and such so i dont see how this could be a problem.

ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS WELCOME PLEASE!

dejan510

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017
It sounds like you've already done a good job troubleshooting the issue. Since the old CPU works fine and the new CPU is compatible with your motherboard, there might be a few other things you could check or try:

CPU Seating: Ensure that the new CPU is properly seated in the socket.
Thermal Paste: When you switched CPUs, did you properly clean off the old thermal paste from the heatsink and apply new paste before attaching it to the new CPU? Improper thermal paste application could lead to overheating issues and cause the system to shut down.

Examine the CPU socket on the motherboard for any bent pins. Even a slight misalignment can cause problems.

Try resetting the BIOS settings to their default values after updating the BIOS. Sometimes, incompatible or incorrect settings can cause issues when switching CPUs.

You mentioned that you're using the GPU for video output. While your old CPU has integrated graphics, the new one might not. Try removing the GPU and connecting the monitor directly to the motherboard's video output when testing with the new CPU. This will help rule out any GPU-related issues.

Check for BIOS Updates

Check for Microcode Update: Sometimes, a microcode update might be necessary for certain CPUs to work properly on a motherboard. Check if your motherboard manufacturer has released any microcode updates specifically for the new CPU.

Confirm that the power connectors for the CPU are properly connected and providing the required power to the new CPU.

While the RAM works with your old CPU, there could be some compatibility issues with the new CPU. Try using a single stick of RAM (if you have multiple sticks) and test each stick individually.

As a last resort, you could try building the system outside the case, on a non-conductive surface, to rule out any potential short-circuits caused by the case or other components.

Aug 15, 2023
PC SPECS:
Graphics card: Radeon RX550/550 Series
Ram: 8gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h
Power Supply: 450 watts
OLD CPU that works: Intel Pentium G2030
NEW CPU not working?: Intel Core i5-3570K

When I install the new cpu and turn on the computer there is no signal on monitor after pluggin hdmi into gpu. but the fans are still running and it beeps at the beginning. But when I go back to my old cpu everything works normally.
I already tried to update the bios, nothing came of it and yes I confirmed that the cpu is compatible and that I have enough watts with the source.
I've tried removing gpu and adjusting ram but if the old cpu still is working with ram and everything y would the new one not.

I'v done everything I can think of only thing I can think right now is that the cpu is broken which i know would be very unlikely also considering every fan runs and the computer posts with a single beep meening it was succsessful so ... I'm not sure. I've been questioning the integrated graphics that come with the cpu but the old cpu also has integrated graphics and such so i dont see how this could be a problem.

ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS WELCOME PLEASE!
Hi , if u made the bios update is ok , I verify here https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-B75M-D3H(rev._1.1).html, the processor is compatible with motherboard , in this case , try take out external video card , clean the ram memory and put in first slot and Conect monitor on VGA and check if you have signal , should work , if not go in bios and check video settings and manually adjust them , and check again .

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Have you reset the BIOS to default settings ?
What's the revision of your motherboard? If revision 1.1 or higher, then make sure a 8-pin CPU power is connected to the motherboard.
I have not reset bios to default and will try it now, thanks. The 8-pin CPU power cable or rather 4 pin in my case is perfectly plugged in and fine.

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
What do you mean by "tried to update the BIOS, nothing came of it?" Was the BIOS successfully updated or wasn't it?
Yes it was a sucessful update but it did not fix my problem. I assume updating to the latest is what I was suppose to do. If so I can assure you it was sucessful.

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Okay so I disabled Intergrated Graphics in the bios with the old CPU and then put in the new one and now its giving me 1 long beep and 2 short which by doing some research:

1 long, 2 short beeps. Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

For everyone that commented to try VGA, I dont have one with me but now i know and can confirm even without having one that it would probably work with VGA plugged into motherboard my question now is how to i get the video to work through my graphics card and y does it not work for my new cpu but work for my old.

I feel like I'm so close to an answer lol pls any help is welcome!!

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Okay! I bought a VGA and the new CPU is working but the graphics card is not being detected at all. But does work when i simply switch to the old CPU im going to try the put it into the other PCI slot and see what i get but this is the ultimate issue after so much troubleshooting :sweatsmile:

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
I could be wrong, but I'm not 100% sure that will have the same result as doing a CLR_CMOS, which is described on page 22 of your user's manual. If this is not correct, I hope somebody smarter than me will chime in!
Gotcha! Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried that and with my new cpu in place it still wont recognise the graphics card.

I could be wrong, but I'm not 100% sure that will have the same result as doing a CLR_CMOS, which is described on page 22 of your user's manual. If this is not correct, I hope somebody smarter than me will chime in!
No it won't have the same results. Loading default settings is not the same as resetting BIOS or clearing CMOS.

I have not reset bios to default and will try it now, thanks. The 8-pin CPU power cable or rather 4 pin in my case is perfectly plugged in and fine.
Which motherboard revision do you have?
Does your motherboard has a 4-pin CPU power connectors or 8-pin?

Okay! I bought a VGA and the new CPU is working but the graphics card is not being detected at all. But does work when i simply switch to the old CPU im going to try the put it into the other PCI slot and see what i get but this is the ultimate issue after so much troubleshooting :sweatsmile:
If the PCIe slot isn't detecting anything and the motherboard is fine (which we know it is because the old CPU is working) then it's likely that your new CPU has non functional PCIe.

Its_Davoo

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Hey guys the solution was just to put the graphics card in the secondary PCI slot and now everything works, I had to change case because the one I had coudnt fit the GPU in the secondary PCI slot lol. Thank yall for the help and suggestions.

Reactions: DanielCalota
Hey guys the solution was just to put the graphics card in the secondary PCI slot and now everything works, I had to change case because the one I had coudnt fit the GPU in the secondary PCI slot lol. Thank yall for the help and suggestions.
Except that your CPU isn't actually working correctly. That second slot is PCIe 2.0 x4 off of the chipset so what you've done is confirmed that your new CPU has malfunctioning PCIe.

Reactions: MrstimX
Glad you got it working.

So either there is an issue with the CPU or the motherboard socket pins or not enough power to run the PCIe x16.

Reactions: rickypicky5

MrstimX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Except that your CPU isn't actually working correctly. That second slot is PCIe 2.0 x4 off of the chipset so what you've done is confirmed that your new CPU has malfunctioning PCIe.
pretty much this. if you've tried all the other stuff, e.g updated the bios, load defaults, removed the gpu and only use 1 stick of ram, it does seem like a defective cpu

Reactions: DanielCalota

TRENDING THREADS