Question Usable ram problem

Apr 27, 2019
Hello, I have a 64-bit windows 10 laptop. It has been working normally. Control panel > system says I have installed memory ( RAM ) 6.00 GB, 5.45 GB usable. That is fine, it has always been like that. Though, I noticed, that whenever I play Sims 4 ( I can run it smoothly, no lag ) my laptop sometimes turns off the screen ( power button still flashes though, as if it's turned on ) and I have to wait a bit for the laptop to cool down so that I can turn it on again. ( usually ). However, I noticed that the usable ram is now: 6.00 GB installed, 1,45 GB usable. I tried reinstalling Windows 10, it's back to 5,45 GB of usable memory. I turned on Sims 4 and the laptop overheated ( probably ) and the screen turned off. I turned on the laptop, and, it says 1,45 gb usable. I went into run>msconfig>boot>advanced options and maximum memory was unticked, as usual. I ticked it. After I restarted, it says 6.00 GB installed, 4,41 GB usable. I want to get back to 5,45 GB of usable memory ( it always says 5,45 GB usable after I reinstall Windows 10. ).How can I do that? I forgot to add: when it says 1,45 GB usable, my laptop lags and freezes and needs time to load stuff, now at 4,41 GB it's normal, no lag but I want to get to 5,45 GB again. It has always been 5,45 GB, since purchased and all.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sounds like you've probably got some hardware faulting or overheating.
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have latest drivers installed (GPU, MB / Chipset etc. and not from a driver updater software)?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU temperatures under load?
May want to run memtest to check that the RAM isn't faulty.

Apr 27, 2019
About the BIOS version, I'm not really sure if it's the latest one.
Latest drivers, yes, they're up to date.
No, I haven't, but when playing some games, I notice the fan gets hot, when I touch it. It might be a problem with dust, as I had problems last year with dust in the fan, so it got hot too quickly.
Is memtest safe?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, I haven't, but when playing some games, I notice the fan gets hot, when I touch it. It might be a problem with dust, as I had problems last year with dust in the fan, so it got hot too quickly.
Use HWinfo to check CPU and GPU temps under load (CPU individual cores).

About the BIOS version, I'm not really sure if it's the latest one.
You can check by going to start > System information.

Is memtest safe?
Perfectly safe, I use it all the time and advise others to use it all the time. It boots from a USB before the OS loads. And then runs a lengthy test on your RAM modules, if there is anything obviously faulty with the modules, memtest will find it.