I purchased a USB 3port miniHUB. It doesn't say that it supports USB 2.0.

Can I safely use it to connect USB 2.0 devices to a computer with USB 2.0
ports?
--
C and A Bredt

In a word, yes... Ben Myers

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:43:01 GMT, "C and A Bredt" <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com>
wrote:

>I purchased a USB 3port miniHUB. It doesn't say that it supports USB 2.0.
>
>Can I safely use it to connect USB 2.0 devices to a computer with USB 2.0
>ports?
>--
>C and A Bredt

Thanks - next time I'll look more closely and be sure it's 2.0

--
C and A Bredt

C and A Bredt wrote:
> Thanks - next time I'll look more closely and be sure it's 2.0

to further explain it

USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 2.0 Speeds

If you can find a link for the mini hub or know the name of it. Post it
and I am sure someone will be able to tell if it is a 1.1 or 2.0 device.

"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>C and A Bredt wrote:
>> Thanks - next time I'll look more closely and be sure it's 2.0
>>
> to further explain it
>
> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 2.0 Speeds
>

> If you can find a link for the mini hub or know the name of it. Post it
> and I am sure someone will be able to tell if it is a 1.1 or 2.0 device.

It was only a couple of bucks so I assume it is 1.1.

I vaguely remember reading that some combinations of 2.0 and 1.1 could
damage one of the pieces of equipment, but I don't remember what combination
it was.

It sounds like you are saying that the only problem will be speed. If that's
so, I won't worry about it.

--
C and A Bredt

One other factor to consider. The USB 2.0 specification supports higher speeds
AND USB-powered devices. If you have a USB 2.0 device which takes its power
only from the USB port, odds are really good that it will not work at all.

There are a few very low power USB 1.1 devices whose power is supplied by the
USB port. The obvious ones are keyboard and mouse, but I also have a very nice
SanDisk USB 1.1 compact flash card reader/writer. It is plug-and-play with
either type of USB... Ben Myers

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:57:55 GMT, "C and A Bredt" <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com>
wrote:

>"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>C and A Bredt wrote:
>>> Thanks - next time I'll look more closely and be sure it's 2.0
>>>
>> to further explain it
>>
>> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 2.0 Speeds
>>

>> If you can find a link for the mini hub or know the name of it. Post it
>> and I am sure someone will be able to tell if it is a 1.1 or 2.0 device.
>
>It was only a couple of bucks so I assume it is 1.1.
>
>I vaguely remember reading that some combinations of 2.0 and 1.1 could
>damage one of the pieces of equipment, but I don't remember what combination
>it was.
>
>It sounds like you are saying that the only problem will be speed. If that's
>so, I won't worry about it.
>
>--
>C and A Bredt

While we are talking about USB 2.0 can I ask a question? My Solo 9500 laptop
has two USB 1.1 ports and I am constantly reminded when using my CF card
reader that it would run faster on a 2.0 USB. I know I could use a PCMCIA
USB 2.0 hub (in fact I have one) but is there any way to upgrade the
internal dual 1.1's to 2.0? I have a wireless card in the other slot so my
PCMCIA slots are filled up. Thanks, Denzil.

=======================

> One other factor to consider. The USB 2.0 specification supports higher
> speeds
> AND USB-powered devices. If you have a USB 2.0 device which takes its
> power
> only from the USB port, odds are really good that it will not work at all.
>
> There are a few very low power USB 1.1 devices whose power is supplied by
> the
> USB port. The obvious ones are keyboard and mouse, but I also have a very
> nice
> SanDisk USB 1.1 compact flash card reader/writer. It is plug-and-play
> with
> either type of USB... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:57:55 GMT, "C and A Bredt"
> <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Dan Sgambelluri" <dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> to further explain it
>>>
>>> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>>> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>>> USB 1.1 hardware works on USB 1.1 ports with USB 1.1 Speeds
>>> USB 2.0 hardware works on USB 2.0 ports with USB 2.0 Speeds
>>>

>>> If you can find a link for the mini hub or know the name of it. Post it
>>> and I am sure someone will be able to tell if it is a 1.1 or 2.0 device.
>>
>>It was only a couple of bucks so I assume it is 1.1.
>>
>>I vaguely remember reading that some combinations of 2.0 and 1.1 could
>>damage one of the pieces of equipment, but I don't remember what
>>combination
>>it was.
>>
>>It sounds like you are saying that the only problem will be speed. If
>>that's
>>so, I won't worry about it.
>>
>>--
>>C and A Bredt

USB 1.1 is a hardware limitation built into the motherboard of the system. If
it is inconvenient to use the PCMCIA USB 2.0 hub, continue using the CF card
reader/writer plugged into the USB 1.1 port. There is some difference in
performance, but it's not THAT astounding... Ben Myers