Question USB-A (Male) to USB-C (Female) Adapter for Docking Station (Display Adapters)

Oct 11, 2024
Hi everyone,

If anyone could provide an insight in my dilemma please.
I have a work laptop with USB C ports for power and a USB C docking station which works great.
Now I started studying and got an older Windows laptop with only USB A ports and no USB C.
I would like to use my USB C docking station with the older Windows laptop.

Can I use the J5create USB A to USB C adapter, model: JUCX45?
I would like to use the Display ports and HDMI port on the docking station if possible.
Or if anyone else can suggest any USB A adapter that will work with a USB C docking station please?
Thank you so much.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Highly unlikely to do what you want. It is VERY likely that the USB Type A ports on your older laptop are USB2 only. Their max data rate is only 10% of what a USB3.2 Gen1 port can do. The fact your HUB uses a Type C input port connector indicates that it is designed to work at at least that Gen1 speed, and possibly up to the Gen2 speed which is twice as fast. THAT is why it can be used for very high data rate functions like high-res video signals. Any USB2 ports system cannot do such work, so I doubt your older laptop even has any way to try doing such things. I doubt you could find a software driver for the laptop that would generate high res video and send the data out on its USB2 Type A port.