[SOLVED] USB-C to USB-A data cables?

Jun 5, 2021
Hi there, can anyone recommend any good usb-c to usb-a cables for data transfer as i am using it for editing purpose off my external ssd. Or is there no such cable, and the only way is for me to get an usb-c to usb-a converter. (PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME! I NEED HELP)

Additional question, can i just use any random usb-c to usb-a charging cables for my external ssd where i edit from. So far it works for me. But i just wanna make sure that i'm getting the most out of it in-terms of speed. I don't really see the difference, but i'm anal about all these stuff.

Please do help me out on this. You can call me noob, dumb, stupid or whatever.

Solution
Sorry, it's actually a desktop. It's just the ports on the back are not that accessible as it's on the ground.

I'm not using it to charge. I'm actually looking for a cable for my external ssd that i usually edit video's from. So i just wanna know if using a generic charging cable to it is good enough.

Hope my question is clear enough.
Without knowing anything about the cable, I assume any USB-C cable is only good up to USB 2.0, because that's the only thing that's guaranteed about the USB-C spec.

If you want to make the most out of your SSD, you need to make sure the USB-C cable supports USB 3.1. Power delivery shouldn't matter since I haven't encountered an SSD that needs anything more than what the base USB spec provides.
Jun 5, 2021
Mind sharing the make and model of your laptop? You can work with pretty much any Type-C to Type-A cable out there with regards to data transfer but for charging it's best you work with the adapter that your laptop came with. I'm assuming laptop since you didn't mention it in your thread.
Sorry, it's actually a desktop. It's just the ports on the back are not that accessible as it's on the ground.

I'm not using it to charge. I'm actually looking for a cable for my external ssd that i usually edit video's from. So i just wanna know if using a generic charging cable to it is good enough.

Without knowing anything about the cable, I assume any USB-C cable is only good up to USB 2.0, because that's the only thing that's guaranteed about the USB-C spec.

If you want to make the most out of your SSD, you need to make sure the USB-C cable supports USB 3.1. Power delivery shouldn't matter since I haven't encountered an SSD that needs anything more than what the base USB spec provides.

Solution
Hi there, can anyone recommend any good usb-c to usb-a cables for data transfer as i am using it for editing purpose off my external ssd. Or is there no such cable, and the only way is for me to get an usb-c to usb-a converter. (PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME! I NEED HELP)

Additional question, can i just use any random usb-c to usb-a charging cables for my external ssd where i edit from. So far it works for me. But i just wanna make sure that i'm getting the most out of it in-terms of speed. I don't really see the difference, but i'm anal about all these stuff.

Please do help me out on this. You can call me noob, dumb, stupid or whatever.

What is connected to what and what exact cable are you using? Is it USB C on the computer side or external drive side? Are you connecting to a USB 3 port on the computer? You said you don't see a difference, difference between what? You tested it with other cables?

Form your post sounds like you are using whatever cable you already have without issues.

TRENDING THREADS