Question USB can lost data like SSD if not supply power ?

Feb 25, 2019
sorry my english so bad , thank for help me

I wan't asking a question about USB
I read press , they said SSD can lost data if not keep supply power , so USB have memory Flash like SSD , USB can lost data if not use , not have power supply from't Computer long time ?

What device will I choose to store data for a long time, without power, and ensure no data loss?
HDD portable or USB or SSD Portable ?

Thank for help me

Last edited:

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
All will retain data even after being unplugged from power supply, HDD being mechanical would be the most likely to be damaged and lose access to data if used as portable storage. USB and SSD aren't much different other than SSD hold more data usually and have faster read/write speeds and are in general of better quality.

"They Say" is a dangerous thing. Who are THEY? Where do you get your information? Earth is still round, as far as I know.

SSD/Flash don't lose data when unplugged. Am assuming standard consumer use. I have tons of flash drives drive that are a few years old, no probs. If you want long term archival, DECADES, then I don't know, you should really ask your in-house pro archivist then.

Feb 25, 2019
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to ask.
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to ask.
sorry for that

Let me again

I have a USB. in USB has my data (video, World, notepad, music)

And I set the USB into the Wardrobe and didn't use the USB for one year

ok, after one year, one year not use that USB, is the data in that USB good, not disappear?

Why do I ask that because I think USB like SSD and SSD lose data if we don't still supply power

and my USB may lose data after one year ?

Feb 25, 2019
"They Say" is a dangerous thing. Who are THEY? Where do you get your information? Earth is still round, as far as I know.

SSD/Flash don't lose data when unplugged. Am assuming standard consumer use. I have tons of flash drives drive that are a few years old, no probs. If you want long term archival, DECADES, then I don't know, you should really ask your in-house pro archivist then.
thank bro NoFan

I read in here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-with-no-power-death.2943655/

but i'm really asking : SSD is Flash , like USB ( USB is Flash ) , so if we not supply power for SSD , we turn off computer , remove SSD from't PC , and set SSD go Wardrobe in one year , and after one year SSD will lost data , right ?

and USB ? USB is Flash like SSD

I have a USB. in USB has my data (video, World, notepad, music)

And I set the USB into the Wardrobe and didn't use the USB for one year

ok, after one year, one year not use that USB, is the data in that USB good, not disappear?

thank you for Support me , bro NoFan

USAFRet

Titan
After a year, it would probably be OK.
But what if it isn't? Or it gets lost/stolen/run through the washing machine/stepped on...

This is when you also have a backup of that data.

No matter what type of storage medium, your data should nevel live in a single location.

popatim

Titan
Most flash media can retain data for about a year unpowered. I believe that was Intel's spec; I read about it a few years ago.

Powering it up does not reset the year, you must refresh the data on the drive.

If you need a longer archival time, look into MO disks and their optical drives. They can last a very very long time

Feb 25, 2019
After a year, it would probably be OK.
But what if it isn't? Or it gets lost/stolen/run through the washing machine/stepped on...

This is when you also have a backup of that data.

No matter what type of storage medium, your data should nevel live in a single location.
thank you mr.Tom cruiser

Feb 25, 2019
Most flash media can retain data for about a year unpowered. I believe that was Intel's spec; I read about it a few years ago.

Powering it up does not reset the year, you must refresh the data on the drive.

If you need a longer archival time, look into MO disks and their optical drives. They can last a very very long time
thank you mr.White men