[SOLVED] USB Device not recognized for Windows install or even Linux, Lenovo y520-15ikbn

hod17956

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
So this is the device: Lenovo y520-15ikbn

I tried everything I think. I made a bootable UEFI usb drive with rufus (8GB USB Thumbdrive) with my windows 10 iso I have. I know this iso (with EFI folder) is perfectly fine because this is not the first system I tried to install windows with. I put in the usb stick start the laptop, usb drive is not there, so first thing I do disable secure boot, well the same thing no usb drive, then I switch to legacy mode same thing no usb drive, then I tried the "optimized system setting" option enabled and disabled, and still nothing, then tried the other boot and bios menü with Lenovos own button on the laptop, same thing no usb drive, then after 3 hours of trying these options in different orders and together or not it wont see the USB drive, so my last hope maybe with a bootable Linux distro, well as much as I love linux neither pop os or ubuntu showed up. So I am here asking for help. pls tell me I am dumb and just missed some simple thing.

Ty for all of you for trying to help out.

Solution
so Command Prompt won't open? Shame I could show you how to get into safe mode without needing the menus that are not working now.
shame, as one of the options on winre is Use a Device which would let you by pass needing to change BIOS boot order at all.

It is possible it wouldn't be there, some options like getting into safe mode rely on windows being able to get as far as the logon screen before they work. So its possible Use a Device isn't there if you get to menu via startup repair or Boot Disk. I haven't really tested it myself.

I think you need to ask Lenovo as you stuck if you can't boot from USB.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Step 1 Change BIOS Setting
Enter BIOS (Recommended way to enter BIOS - ideapad).
Open the Exit menu (try to use Tab key or PgUp, PgDn, or arrow keys to switch). Set OS Optimized Defaults to Other OS, or go to the Boot tab. Set the Boot Mode to Legacy Support, then set USB Boot to Enabled.
Press F9 (Fn+F9) to Load Default Settings, then press F10 (Fn+F10) to save the BIOS.

Step 2 Enter Boot Menu with Function Key or Novo Button
Option 1:
Plug in bootable USB disk (USB Stick). Restart the PC, then press F12 (Fn+F12) to boot from USB disk.
Option 2:
Plug in bootable USB disk (USB Stick). Shut down the machine first, then press Novo Button;
Note: The Novo button allows the PC to power on and go straight to Boot mode.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cl/en/...-y520-15ikbm/80yy/80yy0679/solutions/ht500207

i know you did some of it, but not in that order.

hod17956

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
perhaps you have an older bios?

is there an operating system on the laptop now?

according to readme you need Windows to install the bios - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cl/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbm/80yy/80yy0679/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS/UEFI

Helps if you check bios version now as you might have this already
So there is a windows 10 on the laptop but its so corrupted that it wont boot, only into recovery mode and there even there cant go to the safe mode wont boot there either, or reset or factory settings or deleting updates or anything else in there only restarting or turning off works everything else gives the error "a problem happend when trying this option " something like that no error codes nothing and at every start up the windows recovery fails to solve the problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so Command Prompt won't open? Shame I could show you how to get into safe mode without needing the menus that are not working now.
shame, as one of the options on winre is Use a Device which would let you by pass needing to change BIOS boot order at all.

It is possible it wouldn't be there, some options like getting into safe mode rely on windows being able to get as far as the logon screen before they work. So its possible Use a Device isn't there if you get to menu via startup repair or Boot Disk. I haven't really tested it myself.

I think you need to ask Lenovo as you stuck if you can't boot from USB.

Reactions: hod17956
Solution