[SOLVED] USB Devices Randomly Disconnecting and Reconnecting

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
My USB mouse and headset, both of which are Razer products, are (seemingly) randomly disconnecting and reconnecting a few seconds later. This only happens when I am playing a game, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the computer load. I also use a Razer keyboard, but it doesn't disconnect.

Things I have tried:
  • Restarting my Computer
  • Reinstalling Razer Synapse
  • Disabling USB selective suspend in power options
  • Turning off disabling the devices to save power in Device Manager
My computer specs:
MB: ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT
RAM: 16GB
HDD: WDC WD7500BPVX (Boot Drive)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Running Windows 10.0.18363

As a side note, my computer also seems to have issues such as not posting after using "restart" (shutting down and turning on works normally) and occasional blackscreens/bluescreens under load. Could this have to do with my airflow/overheating? Is any of this possibly linked to my devices disconnecting?

EDIT: Now only the mouse seems to be disconnecting, not the audio. Not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT 2: I played videogames (meaning that my computer was under load) for almost an hour and a half with no USB disconnect issues whatsoever. I didn't change anything besides what I already outlined. Maybe it will come back, which would be nice to help further understand the issue, although having the issue solved (at least for now) is nice.

Last edited:
Solution
I installed Windows 10 when I built my computer, which was a little over 2 years ago (if that's what you mean). I also updated my OS recently.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thing is that so far, the mouse/keyboard disconnecting issue can be as a result of:
  • Some software (may be old drivers, registry cleaners, etc) may potentially have unwanted effects. This risk factor only increase as the W10 installation gets older.
  • Or there can be a very rare occasion where the USB chip itself has started malfunctioning - or actually have a bug not known yet. If you can use your mouse and keyboard properly when using a usb hub, that indicates just that.

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Here are screenshots of the temperatures and voltages after an hour of testing. There were no errors detected, if that makes any difference:
yAQRuku.png
jyVzTVu.png

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Ok, looks good, so therefor it's seems that it is not a voltage problem.

Would that happens also if you play a game while Synapse is not installed (i.e. just generic drivers are in use) ?
I uninstalled Synapse, and the disconnecting seemed to stop some of the time, but did happen a few times even with the default Windows drivers so far, which kind of confuses me. (Maybe the frequency of the disconnects slowing down slightly was just a coincidence?)
As a side note, with Synapse installed, some games did not have this issue at all. The game where I have issues mostly used up more CPU and less GPU than the games that did not bring up issues, as far as I could tell. I didn't thoroughly test this theory though.
Overall, I think uninstalling Razer Synapse did not fix the problem at all, really.

Last edited:

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Adding on to this, when I look at task manager when the disconnects occur, nothing is at 100%, with the CPU resting at usually 50-70% when playing. Sometimes it would even disconnect 3 times in rapid succession. I have also confirmed that it isn't just one game, it happens with multiple games that I have tested, and both DirectX and Vulkan games seem to have issues.

Last edited:

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
So you've never experiences this disconnects when not in a game ?

What about when running a benchmark program ?

What about if you run some other kind of CPU/GPU intensive program, such as encoding a video or something ?

So far, I've only experienced the disconnects when gaming, yes. I tested running Cinebench R15 and R20 with both the CPU and GPU tests, and neither caused a disconnect. Plus, when I ran the OCCT stress test, as far as I can recall, no disconnects happened either. FurMark, which held my GPU at 100%, didn't cause any disconnects after multiple minutes of testing. I also used Adobe Media Encoder to encode an After Effects project I already had, which didn't cause one either, although the Media Encoder didn't really use much of my system resources. Maybe I should test some of these benchmarks for longer periods of time, it seemed that when I was playing today the disconnects didn't occur until at least 15 minutes of playing.

Can you try one more thing - just to ensure voltage dropout to mouse/keyboard isn't the reason:
  • If you have an USB hub, then also connect a usb pen drive to the same hub as the mouse+keyboard is connected at. IMPORTANT : Do not have important files on this device! So whenever the next time the mouse/keyboard disconnect - see if the thumb drive also disconnects.
  • If you don't have a USB hub, just put the thumb drive into a usb slot next to where you have the mouse/keyboard. It should do.
Another thin I wonder - how long since you installed W10? Can there be leftover from old drivers, or even malware ?

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Can you try one more thing - just to ensure voltage dropout to mouse/keyboard isn't the reason:
  • If you have an USB hub, then also connect a usb pen drive to the same hub as the mouse+keyboard is connected at. IMPORTANT : Do not have important files on this device! So whenever the next time the mouse/keyboard disconnect - see if the thumb drive also disconnects.
  • If you don't have a USB hub, just put the thumb drive into a usb slot next to where you have the mouse/keyboard. It should do.
Another thin I wonder - how long since you installed W10? Can there be leftover from old drivers, or even malware ?

I tried using a USB hub to test this, and it seemed that using the USB hub (at least this one in particular) made it so my mouse no longer disconnected. It was the only hub I could find, and it was USB 1.1, I think. I'll update this reply if I find a USB 2/3 hub I can test. This isn't really a solution though, since I'd like to be able to use my mouse with a built-in USB 2/3 slot. I also used a different mouse, and I didn't get any disconnects after 20 minutes of testing.

I installed Windows 10 when I built my computer, which was a little over 2 years ago (if that's what you mean). I also updated my OS recently.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thing is that so far, the mouse/keyboard disconnecting issue can be as a result of:
  • Some software (may be old drivers, registry cleaners, etc) may potentially have unwanted effects. This risk factor only increase as the W10 installation gets older.
  • Or there can be a very rare occasion where the USB chip itself has started malfunctioning - or actually have a bug not known yet. If you can use your mouse and keyboard properly when using a usb hub, that indicates just that.

Solution

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018

For now, I guess using the USB hub is all I can do. I'll eventually probably do a clean install of Windows if more errors pop up, and I'm looking to buy a better motherboard anyways (B350 isn't really any good).

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Now, it seems that the disconnecting is occasionally happening again. It seemed to start occurring after Synapse was installing something after I started my computer. Would this have to do with firmware, or possibly drivers? I initially thought drivers weren't the problem since the disconnecting still happened without Synapse installed, but I'm not sure anymore. When I tested the mouse without Synapse, I also never restarted my computer afterward. I also assumed that wouldn't make a difference because, in Device Manager, it showed the mouse as using default Windows drivers, but I don't know about that either.

zivoricok

Commendable
Feb 4, 2018
Thought I should update this, since it was never solved for a decent amount of time.

I decided to buy a new (different type of) mouse, and it works perfectly.
I think software is not the issue. The mouse that was disconnecting disconnected even without synapse installed, and would disconnect on every computer I tried it on. It made sense to assume that it was games/power causing the disconnects, but I think I tackled that problem earlier by troubleshooting (by doing the steps I said I already did in the original post). I assumed the mouse was also disconnecting for that same reason afterwards, but other mice worked fine, even other Razer mice. This made me come to a conclusion, finally, that it was most likely an issue with the mouse itself or the cable. Why I thought it was linked to games being open was probably that I was swiping my mouse fast and probably tugging on the cable, causing it to disconnect where the faulty place was. Like I said earlier, I think I did have some power configuration problems, but those were fixed earlier on. The only way to solve the physical connection issue seems to be just buying a new mouse.

TL;DR - If it is just the mouse disconnecting, like my case, the issue could very well be a physical connection issue, meaning that you basically have to buy a new mouse. I alleviated the potential of having this problem again by getting a wireless mouse, which would not have cable issues. In my case, the issue with my mouse was probably a faulty cable issue that probably developed over time.