Question USB Hard Drives Constantly Disconnect

EllieBunnyKiller

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Any USB hard drive or storage device that I plug into my desktop PC randomly gets the 'USB unplugged noise' then freezes Windows explorer. On top of that, I get a Warning for the disk in my event viewer. It varies which external hard drive it happens to. This doesn't happen with these drives on any other computer I own, just my main work PC. I'm really worried they're going to die and I'm going to lose tons of photo and video. Here are the events I get in Event Viewer:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR17 during a paging operation.

Thought I should also add this. It's been giving me this event over and over. Event ID 98:

Volume F: (\Device\HarddiskVolume32) is healthy. No action is needed.

I used CHKDSK on all of my external hard drives. There were no issues.

I tried:

• Resetting my PC
  • Unchecking 'let Windows turn off this device to save power' in Device Manager and in Power Options
  • COMPLETELY formatting and resetting all of my hard drives and re-installing Windows.
  • Trying different USB ports.
  • Uninstalling and re-installing USB drivers
Any help is much appreciated!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR3 3200 MHz G.Skill Trident
SSD: Samsung Evo 125GB SSD
SSD2: Samsung Evo 250GB SSD
HDD: 2x WD Blue 1 TB Hard Drives
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 650W 80+ Gold
GPU: Gtx 1080
Case: Source NZXT H700

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Always list your specs in a troubleshooting thread, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the make and model of your USB storage device and it's age. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then make sure you're on the latest drivers for your chipset/USB. Speaking of which, which USB ports did you plug the device to?

EllieBunnyKiller

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Always list your specs in a troubleshooting thread, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the make and model of your USB storage device and it's age. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then make sure you're on the latest drivers for your chipset/USB. Speaking of which, which USB ports did you plug the device to?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR3 3200 MHz G.Skill Trident
SSD: Samsung Evo 125GB SSD
SSD2: Samsung Evo 250GB SSD
HDD: 2x WD Blue 1 TB Hard Drives
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 650W 80+ Gold
GPU: Gtx 1080
Case: Source NZXT H700

Updated original post as well