[SOLVED] USB HUB not working properly when connecting power cable to laptop

gack2009

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Hi all,

I recently bought a lot of accessories for my laptop was planing to put it in a dock and connect it to monitor, keyboard and mousse.
However, i only have 3 USB 3 type A ports and one of them is broken and i need to connect 4 USB devices (rgb keyboard, rgb mouse, rgb headphones, and rgb mat)
I have one USB 3.1 type c so i bought a hub that has 2 usb 2 and 2 usb 3 and bunch of other ports.
that hub is not working properly when the laptop is connected to power all four items are lagging.

NOTE: the broken USB is on the same side as the charger port and the USB type c i wonder if this has to do with anything.

I used a different hub that has its own power supple and connects to USB 3 type A, that one currently has 3 devices connected to it and its working properly even though i did not connect its own power supply.

Thanks

Solution
Make and model USB hubs is important and likely the difference.

Quality and design matter/

The one "USB 3.1 type c, etc." hub may simply not be good enough to do the job based on PC provided USB power alone. Or the hub is broken or faulty in some manner.

The USB 3 type A may be designed and built well enough to handle the USB load based on only PC provided USB power. However at some point, you may discover a load limit on that hub that necessitates providing external power.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model USB hubs is important and likely the difference.

Quality and design matter/

The one "USB 3.1 type c, etc." hub may simply not be good enough to do the job based on PC provided USB power alone. Or the hub is broken or faulty in some manner.

The USB 3 type A may be designed and built well enough to handle the USB load based on only PC provided USB power. However at some point, you may discover a load limit on that hub that necessitates providing external power.

Solution