[SOLVED] USB port problems (wireless mouse & keyboard)

rampant_ranger

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I use a 2018 Acer predator Helios 300. It has 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 standard USB ports. Here's the problem.

The problem is with my Wireless Dell mouse and Keyboard Dongle. It's weird. Sometimes when I plug the USB dongle it gets recognized and the devices work. But other times the Dongle is not recognized. Here are the various scenarios

1. The dongle does not work in either of the 3 USB ports
  2. dongle works in 1 Standard port but not in the others
and hence I can't use the mouse or keyboard. But the catch is that the Dongle works in my Mac and furthermore the USB ports in the Laptop work for other devices like cooling fans and scanners. Nevertheless, once they didn't work for my cooling fan but that hasn't happened again.

It gets solved by itself over time or if I restart it a couple of times, but its severely irritating.

Here what I have tried;

Scanning for hardware changes.
Checking if the ports are loose.
Using other devices( mentioned above)

Solution
Not much to do here, there is some connection or driver issue with the dongle and the laptop. You can try a BIOS update if there is one, check for newer chipset or usb drivers. Past that, try another keyboard/mouse set. The Logitech ones with the unifying receiver are good.
Not much to do here, there is some connection or driver issue with the dongle and the laptop. You can try a BIOS update if there is one, check for newer chipset or usb drivers. Past that, try another keyboard/mouse set. The Logitech ones with the unifying receiver are good.

Solution