Question USB Problem

dizhydron

Reputable
Nov 11, 2018
Hello!

I've been experiencing an obnoxious issue for a while now. For some reason every 1-5 minutes I hear the USB disconnect sound. I checked system sounds to make sure that that noise wasn't caused by some regular occurrence task and it's exclusive to disconnecting USBs. I made sure that power-saving options weren't disconnecting them due to a lack of use and tried testing different ports with very little luck on discovering what the cause of the problem could be. I could disable the USB disconnect sound but it causes performance issues in certain games I play when it happens so while I may be able to take care of the sound, it still may cause problems. It's also persisted through an OS reinstall of Windows 10.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to tell what's disconnecting when. I found an application called USBDeview which might show me when something disconnects, but I'm having trouble reading it. I'm a bit of a slow learner so I'm trying to piece it together in such a way that I can easily tell what's the culprit when it happens and I've been particularly busy the last few days.

Does anyone know of any other methods I might be able to use to identify this issue? I'd also appreciate a tutorial for USBDeview if anyone has one handy.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The first step with troubleshooting would be to parse your system specs. Often times, lack of the latest BIOS update or a corruption in your drivers or the OS or both can and will lead to the issue you're stating. There's also an off chance that the PSU is playing games with your build.

Please pass the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
USB devices:

Reactions: dizhydron

dizhydron

Reputable
Nov 11, 2018
As requested, here are my specs. As far as I know, all of the most recent drivers have been installed for them.

CPU: Intell Core i9 10900K @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard: AORUS MASTER Z490
Ram: 64GB Trident Z Royal 3200 @ 1066MHz
SSD/HDD: 931GB NVMe Saberent Rocket 4.0 1TB M.2 RAID SSD and a SanDisk SDSSDH31024G SATA SSD
GPU: Dell S2417DG built-in graphics and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 EVGA FTW3
PSU: CORSAIR HXI Series HX1200i, 120 watt 80+ Platinum Certified
Chassis: Phantex Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass Edition
USB devices;
Vemont USB 3.0 Hub
Corsair K70 LUX Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Red
Eoocvt 5.25-inch Multi-Function USB hub Front Pannel Media Dashboard.
Aventree DG45 Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle
Logitech C920X Pro HD Webcam
RedDragon K585 One-Handed RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Blue Yetti Streaming Microphone (Not sure what model)
ELCOM 2.4GHZ Wireless trackball

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
What USBs you have on your I/O rear? do you connect the devices from the USB 2/3 header?(You can check this by looking at your motherboard and seeing if the pin header mentions USB).

Some devices support particular USB versions so if you're using say an external drive to run all your games, you have to use the USB version that it is mostly compatible with it as it is not always a guarantee that USB 3.0 will work.

Start by hooking up a simple pen drive to each of the USB slots. If it fails by doing nothing or copying a large file on it, then go with the next one. If the next one is able to to work by being idle and copying large files, then its working. Repeat this until you have detected all the USB ports that don't work. Do the same for reading the files if possible.

Once you have detected the faulty USB ports, check if there is physical damage to it by making a slight bend. If it bends too much, then its probably damaged.

I noticed that you mentioned a USB HUB. Can you check if your devices work without the hub?