[SOLVED] USB vs Audio Jack for Hyper X Cloud Alpha S in MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk ?

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I have bought a Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and still waiting for it to arrive, the manual book said the audio jack using Realtek ALC1200 Codec which I google is kinda a premium sound quality. I have been using my Hyper X Cloud Alpha S using USB just because it has a control panel for sound control.
But I kinda wonder which is better for sound quality, using USB or use Jack Audio to MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk.

I have tested it myself in my Asus h81m-k but honestly, I can't tell the difference. I just wonder if this Realtek ALC1200 thingy can make it better or still have no difference when using USB.

also, if it's really can make the sound quality better using Audio Jack, is there any component on sale which only use for sound control, but not reducing sound quality?

Solution
thanks for the reply. but i actually want to know in technical meaning like if using ALC1200 can make the bass more clear or more crispier, or maybe can convert sound more sophistically so we can hear more detailed background instrument like that.

also if it really does makes it better. than i will have a free usb port for another device but minus control panel sound since hyper x cloud alpha only have sound controller using usb

When you try it out, you will be able to tell for yourself. Even if technically there is some difference, if you can't tell the difference, there is no difference for you. It also depends on the source and headphones / speakers you are using, the better the recording the easier it is to tell the...

Lutfij

Titan
You would need to try both sound sources to get your answer. For each person, the way people perceive audio/sound varies from one pair of ears to the other, much like how beauty is subjective ;) The audio codec is indeed higher in quality and the audio circuitry on the board for the ALC1200 is better than what was done ages ago, case in point the H81 chipset motherboard you have there.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
thanks for the reply. but i actually want to know in technical meaning like if using ALC1200 can make the bass more clear or more crispier, or maybe can convert sound more sophistically so we can hear more detailed background instrument like that.

also if it really does makes it better. than i will have a free usb port for another device but minus control panel sound since hyper x cloud alpha only have sound controller using usb

johnsoner13

Respectable
I think in that regard you wont hear a difference because those headphones arent really power hungry so any extra power from the onboard audio wont affect sound to a noticeable degree. Not entirely sure but i also think with usb you will be less prone to hearing electrical interference from your pc than if you were to use your audio jack

It really comes down to how well the digital-to-analog converter in both devices does converting the signal to analog. I'd be the Realtek chip will do a better job at converting to analog (EG: cleaner signal) then whatever DAC was stuffed into the headset itself. That being said, you "will" get a different sound signature if you go through the Realtek chip, which you may or may not prefer (even if one device makes a cleaner signal then the other).

When you try it out, you will be able to tell for yourself. Even if technically there is some difference, if you can't tell the difference, there is no difference for you. It also depends on the source and headphones / speakers you are using, the better the recording the easier it is to tell the difference. With the HyperX Clouds, they are not detailed enough to bring out subtle differences in the sound card much or the source. You would need a higher end headphone for that.

Solution