Question Use Google Drive in place of MS Word when MS expires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am anticipating the expiration of my Microsoft Word Home and Student 2019 and I have tried all the open source like LibreOffice + open office and they're pretty good but not something I would want to use all the time.
I've heard that Google Docs or Google Drive would be an alternative and I saw at that site where I could upload the material I now have in my File Explorer in Windows 11.
My question is would you consider that a safe reliable way of using a replacement for File Explorer by storing everything in Google Drive and working on my documents there?
I realize the question is subjective but I'm not familiar with the safety of working online all the time even though Google Docs has an offline option.
I don't know if I can work offline all the time as an example of my naivete .
I am trying to avoid Microsoft subscriptions and being online all the time although Google Docs and Google Drive would be on line unless I check offline
if you have any suggestions as to keeping Microsoft and paying or going elsewhere.
Thank you

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am only an average skill user so don't know much about the security or lack of it with Microsoft Office I do know that my mainstream support ends in 2023 and security ends in 2025. Could you enlighten me about having no concern about no security and no support? I used to have Microsoft home and student 2010 and when it's expiration date was up I bought the 2019. I can't believe the supports only lasted three years and I guess I was taken for a ride and should have kept the 2010..

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
What happens if your operating system is no longer supported?

If you continue to use an unsupported version of Windows, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Your PC will continue to start and run, but you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft.
This is only one of the quotes I found on the web, not at Microsoft

Reactions: Grobe

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I appreciate the input. I have decided to keep my Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 until the mainstream expires in 23 and security expires in 25. At that time I would purchase it once again if available. I tried LibreOffice OpenOpen Google Docs and I'm most comfortable with Microsoft Windows File Explorer, files and folders etc.
I prefer not to have a subscription. Btw, I did find LibreOffice the best alternative but the banner and ribbon are very old school and confusing. One must search diligently to find a task. I am sure in time one can become accustomed and familiar and for free would the be a good deal.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.