Used drive space unaccounted for.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
According to WinDirStat I am consuming 25.8 GB of my SSD's 232 GB but according to File Explorer my SSD C: only has 195 GB free so that's roughly 11 GB that is unaccounted for and that WinDirStat isn't able to locate.

I notice sometimes that the unaccounted space returns to the drive from anywhere between 1-11 GB. What could be using this space and why can't WinDirStat locate it?

Solution
System Restore is it.

~8.5GB undocumented in WinDirStat.

For your pagefile, if you have sufficient RAM, just turn it down. I have mine set at 1GB min/max, and living on the SSD.
Do a disk cleanup of the C: drive.

It can be down to temp storage of internet files, offline web pages. system error reports.temp files.
If you have not done a disk clean up for some time.

Right click on the C drive and see what disk clean up reports.
The other possible cause is of you still have virtual disk, or the page file enabled on your SSD C: drive.

If you have more than 16Gb of system memory for your computer.
You should disable the page file on your SSD C: driver to lower wear and tear on the fash based memory of the drive.

Or set the page file to exist on a mechanical based drive instead.
It`s more than likely temp files, and error reports ect taking up the 11GB if you look though.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Windirstat_27_10_16.png

Disk_Management_27_10_16.png

Sys_Restore_27_10_16.png

Over Provisioning has not been enabled in Samsung Magician.

Is it likely system restore? Does WinDirStat locate system restore?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Are you sure WinDirStat doesn't account for all of these? I will look at moving the page file to my storage drive if it is recommended...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Why wouldn't WinDirStat be able to show/locate the system restore files?

I have 8 GB of ram and am using a system managed pagefile, what do you recommend?

USAFRet

Titan

Because it doesn't. Dunno why.

Reduce your pagefile down to 1 or 2GB, min/max. See what happens. You'll probably never notice.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Ok, thanks.