Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
There is this one Enermax PSU, the 1000w DXX Galaxy that has been used for a year on ebay that is going cheap, but it sounds like there may be something wrong with the fan:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260565741891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'd be happy to replace the fan if necessary.

He says he's been told that he can adjust the fan speed on the bios, but i didn't think that was possible?

I ask the seller some questions and apparently it still works, powers all components in his system, but it's emit bleeps.

I don't know what to make of it, any thoughts?

Thanks.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I wouldnt buy a used PSU, especially since you are questioning its current condition, but thats just me.

Ive never seen a PSU, with any sort of hook up so you can control the fan speed from the bios, so that tells me he has no idea what hes talking about, the beeping could mean its a high load away from burning up. Also, take into account NOBODY bid on it and its sold as is, so if it dies, your out 50 i dont know how to make that symbol on my ignorant american keyboard.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I have read, that a PSU can beep to warn you of high CPU temp, my thoughts are that there is nothing wrong with the PSU, it's something in his system, possibly creating high CPU temp.

This brand of PSU i believe does communicate in someway with the motherboard and from what I've read it has some beeping and flashing light system of communicating problems, which are usually system based.

It's a bit of a gamble but, I'd the problem is either with his system or his systems compatibility with that PSU's features.

I might gamble it, i might not, I'm not sure.

Years ago it was possible to connect a power supply fan to a fan connection on a motherboard. The power supply had to have an external fan cable. The motherboard had to have a pwr_fan connection. That was the only connection that could be used. The pc system would control the speed of the power supply fan based on the temperature. It has been quite a few years since I have seen one of those. It is ancient history.

Start saving your money for a high quality power supply.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I thought about it some more and it's not the CPU thing, it's just the weird bleep error system that PSU has, it's for external errors not internal, i'm pretty sure anyway.

I talked him into taking £10's off and he either doesn't know much about it or knows alot.

I'd take a £50 bet that PSU is fine.

If it's just beeping as he claims and otherwise it works, it's just the external error system.

These PSU's can beep with some systems for no apparent, or at least a very obscure and not particularly important reason and be perfectly fine on others.

I've taken a £50 bet that may land me with a 100% function 1000 watt PSU from one of the best PSU manufacturers out there.

I'll test it extensively before it goes in my system.

In any case PSU's of this caliber aren't known for blowing up and taking out other hardware, so worst case scenario is that i have to buy another, which i have no problem with.

Found it:

"Features:

Smart fan function - The Smart Fan technology was developed by the folks at Enermax to protect your investment. After your system shutdown, the two ball bearing fans continue to run for another 2 mins to cool off your power supply and components . It also has a heat sensor that will allow the fans to run for more than 2 mins if the temp is greater then 40c after the 2 mins. This will greatly increase the life your power supply and components.

Five +12V Rails - Independent 12V rails supply to MB/CPU and drives in order to provide stable and clean current to noise-sensitive devices, such as: CPU, add-on cards.Meets UL 240VA safety requirements. It also separates the motherboard rails and video card rails to ensure maximum power to your PCI Express video card.

High efficiency (85%) - High efficiency is achieved by using high quality components and the skills of our designer to maximize your power supply output and minimize wasted power. Efficiency is the measure of how much of the 100% power going in to the PSU is being used up and the unused power dissipate into heat through the heatsink. Lower efficiency means that more power is being wasted and also the PSU will generate more heat.

Quad GPU support - Five individual +12V Rails allows the power to support up to 4 PCI E graphic cards.

Power Guard - The PowerGuard uses a LED light and an internal buzzer to indicate current power supply status. Under abnormal situations, the Power Guard will turn off the power supply to protect your system."

Here's are links to technical reviews from 3 or 4 years ago:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=15

http://www.guru3d.com/article/enermax-galaxy-1000-watt-dxx-psu/

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article726-page1.html

NOTE - The jonnyguru.com and silentpcreview.com reviews are for the older version of the power supply. The guru3d.com review is for the newer DXX version.