[SOLVED] Used SSD slave drive?

OhSchnapps

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
A friend bought a new desktop (ASUS) and has asked me to take the SSD out of his old PC and put it in his new one for him. I've done this myself with an HDD without wiping it, but is it the same with an SSD? Do I need to wipe the drive or can it be installed as-is? Will it cause boot problems, and is there a way to simply remove the boot files from the old SSD so they don't interfere, and he can just use it as storage? Just want to go about it right the first time.

To clarify, the new PC has an SSD already, he just wants the second one added in for the storage space.

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, but does it have to be formatted or can it be used as is? I assume any programs on it won't work but if he has save files or other such things, can he access them in the new PC?
The easiest thing to do is to just secure erase it, which removes everything including partitions, then go to disk management to partition and format.

RealBeast

Titan
A friend bought a new desktop (ASUS) and has asked me to take the SSD out of his old PC and put it in his new one for him. I've done this myself with an HDD without wiping it, but is it the same with an SSD? Do I need to wipe the drive or can it be installed as-is? Will it cause boot problems, and is there a way to simply remove the boot files from the old SSD so they don't interfere, and he can just use it as storage? Just want to go about it right the first time.

To clarify, the new PC has an SSD already, he just wants the second one added in for the storage space.

Thanks!
Yes, you should be able to just add it in and reformat it. If there is any problem just go into the bios and choose the advanced view, there should be a tools tab with secure erase as an option on most boards. Just be sure to secure erase the correct drive.

OhSchnapps

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Yes, but does it have to be formatted or can it be used as is? I assume any programs on it won't work but if he has save files or other such things, can he access them in the new PC?

Yes, you should be able to just add it in and reformat it. If there is any problem just go into the bios and choose the advanced view, there should be a tools tab with secure erase as an option on most boards. Just be sure to secure erase the correct drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Whatever data on it he wishes to keep needs to be saved elsewhere at first opportunity.
Preferably, before it is taken our of its original system.

Once moved to the new PC, delete ALL partitions.

Reactions: OhSchnapps

RealBeast

Titan
The easiest thing to do is to just secure erase it, which removes everything including partitions, then go to disk management to partition and format.

Reactions: OhSchnapps
Solution