News Users Report Ryzen 7000X3D Chips Burning Out, Killing Motherboards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Nope,That's it, 😅 I am buying only all Intel n
Now on
"...Due to the elongated shape of LGA 1700 CPUs, and how they are secured in the socket, the CPUs have been known to bend or warp while installed in the motherboard’s socket. This can cause higher temperatures due to uneven contact with CPU coolers.

There are a few solutions available for enthusiasts who wish to fix this issue in pursuit of lower CPU temperatures, but they all involve potentially warranty breaking modifications. ..."

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame

Yeah, marvelous, encountering a cooling issue out of the box, and then being faced with void warranty when one wants to fix that...

InvalidError

Titan
Doubt it’s the motherboard, more likely the CPU.

Now tell me why Intel hasn’t had similar issues?
All companies have blind spots in their QA process. With so much stuff controlled by firmware and software, catastrophic failure is always one bad update away regardless of who you buy stuff from. AMD may have just had its first major such failure, Intel could be next.

Intel having consistently fewer weird quirks is likely due to having a more extensive regression test suite to run against its CPUs and chipsets.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
There have been reports of assus bios pumping 1.4-1.5v vsoc into these chips on previous bios versions. assus has also pulled all bios's from their am5 lineup with the exception of those dated 4/21/23 and usually a second bios that is a beta bios. the new bios revisions drop vsoc down to 1.05-1.1v.

I checked my 7950x3d that ive had since launch day in an assus crosshair x670e gene. no damage on the bottom of my cpu or in the socket, but i also have my vsoc manually set to 1.25v for the ddr5 6000 30-38-38-28 timings that i run.

All companies have blind spots in their QA process. With so much stuff controlled by firmware and software, catastrophic failure is always one bad update away regardless of who you buy stuff from. AMD may have just had its first major such failure, Intel could be next.

Intel having consistently fewer weird quirks is likely due to having a more extensive regression test suite to run against its CPUs and chipsets.
Remember the AMD USB bug that took over a year to fix. I remember. Then there's the slow boot-up with AM5 that AMD left up the to board manufacturers to fix.

D

Deleted member 2838871

D@mn. That was a new build wasn't it?

Yep. Ran flawlessly for 3 days passing benchmarks and stress tests then while playing on steam this morning the display signal was lost… I shut down and am now caught in a endless won’t power on loop.

Removed GPU and still doesn’t power on… new PSU resulted in the same.

The exact same MSI mobo is arriving today. Gonna rebuild later. Please check my questions in that thread and if you have any advice I’m all ears.

Thanks!

Reactions: Why_Me
Remember the AMD USB bug that took over a year to fix. I remember. Then there's the slow boot-up with AM5 that AMD left up the to board manufacturers to fix.
Do you remember this:
"...Due to the elongated shape of LGA 1700 CPUs, and how they are secured in the socket, the CPUs have been known to bend or warp while installed in the motherboard’s socket. This can cause higher temperatures due to uneven contact with CPU coolers.

There are a few solutions available for enthusiasts who wish to fix this issue in pursuit of lower CPU temperatures, but they all involve potentially warranty breaking modifications. ..."

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame

Yeah, marvelous, encountering a cooling issue out of the box, and then being faced with void warranty when one wants to fix that...
How about how Intel milked consumers dry for nearly a decade by not releasing anything really better than the last generation of product year after year.

Regardless of AMD and their few issues, I will support the significantly smaller and more innovative company that just so happens to be very competitive so you can enjoy getting a decent CPU from Intel. I am never one to choose this side or that side. For my needs when I built my current and last setups, AMD was the performance winner. Did they have a few bugs, yup. Did they fix the ones they were responsible for, yup.

You know me and how I always recommend what I feel is the best performance per dollar in the systems section for the users use cases. I don't understand why people have to have gotcha moments when company x or y in duopoly z have an issue.

Yep. Ran flawlessly for 3 days passing benchmarks and stress tests then while playing on steam this morning the display signal was lost… I shut down and am now caught in a endless won’t power on loop.

Removed GPU and still doesn’t power on… new PSU resulted in the same.

The exact same MSI mobo is arriving today. Gonna rebuild later. Please check my questions in that thread and if you have any advice I’m all ears.

Thanks!
Looking at that thread right now. You went high end on that build. I see Dark Lord of Tech on that thread and he's one of the better ones on here as far as troubleshooting. With that said I sure hope it's the board as in a quick fix.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Looking at that thread right now. You went high end on that build. I see Dark Lord of Tech on that thread and he's one of the better ones on here as far as troubleshooting. With that said I sure hope it's the board as in a quick fix.

Yeah… me too. This is the first build I’ve ever had issues with.

It’s definitely high end. My PCPP part list shows retail over $11k… but some of that rolled over from my 2021 build… (OLED display… 3D and laser printers… VR and flight sim hardware… along with the case, 2x HDDs and 4x SSDs Gen3)… roughly $6k of the $11k total.

Worth it though. 3DMark scores were 50-75% higher than previous 10900k/3090. Total insanity.

As long as it works.

Hoping it’s just the board too. Off work in a couple hours and new one just got delivered to the locker right down the street. Easy returns with Amazon too.

Gonna rebuild tonight and will follow up. I will say this though… if issues persist I will return the CPU, mobo and air cooler and go 13900k with AIO.

No brand loyalty here. I went AMD for the new platform… but if it sucks… I’ll go back to Intel.

Yeah… me too. This is the first build I’ve ever had issues with.

It’s definitely high end. My PCPP part list shows retail over $11k… but some of that rolled over from my 2021 build… (OLED display… 3D and laser printers… VR and flight sim hardware… along with the case, 2x HDDs and 4x SSDs Gen3)… roughly $6k of the $11k total.

Worth it though. 3DMark scores were 50-75% higher than previous 10900k/3090. Total insanity.

As long as it works.

Hoping it’s just the board too. Off work in a couple hours and new one just got delivered to the locker right down the street. Easy returns with Amazon too.

Gonna rebuild tonight and will follow up. I will say this though… if issues persist I will return the CPU, mobo and air cooler and go 13900k with AIO.

No brand loyalty here. I went AMD for the new platform… but if it sucks… I’ll go back to Intel.
If you go Intel avoid the 3900K unless you do a lot of productivity and even then I would look at the 13900 (locked cpu). Otherwise the i7 will do just fine.

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022

You know that the (first) bootup of a Am5 platform is due to DRAM training right? The post can last up to 4 minutes in some occasions. Perhaps readup on DDR5 tech first before throwing the mantrum at AMD.

You know that the (first) bootup of a Am5 platform is due to DRAM training right? The post can last up to 4 minutes in some occasions. Perhaps readup on DDR5 tech first before throwing the mantrum at AMD.
Then maybe you can explain the please help me threads on the net with peeps having trouble with slow boot up times and I'm not talking about the initial boot up with that idiotic memory training.

D

Deleted member 2838871

If you go Intel avoid the 3900K unless you do a lot of productivity and even then I would look at the 13900 (locked cpu). Otherwise the i7 will do just fine.

Yeah I’m about 70/30 gaming/ productivity which is mainly video editing and encoding. That’s why I went 7950x3D over the 7800x3D.

Not a big OCer… I mean with this hardware why would I? 😂😂

Anyway… will cross that bridge when I come to it. My preference is AM5.

sirsquishy67

Prominent
Mar 5, 2023
You can clearly see which pin on the CPU took the hit, shame AMD did not release a "functional data sheet" for AM5 detailing the pins and what they are used for. The CCD took the hit, burned through IF and hit the IOD. The big buldge is from the IOD turning to vapor. This could be a number of things, including a series of faulty sockets creating shorts. But since we have not seen this, so far, with non X3D chips I am more inclined to point to a faulty AGESA or bad PBO policy being applied to the 3XD causing a voltage spike. It will be interesting if someone pulls samples of failed X3D CPUs and finds that its the same pin (with in a +/-3 radius) that took the hit, showing the same IOD damage underneath.

sirsquishy67

Prominent
Mar 5, 2023
It's strange those chips are going to some rapair shop and not the manufacturer. People don't send stuff under warranty to some random guy with a soldering iron. Even if that was a certified repair shop, they wouldn't go releasing it to the public just like that.
This happens for 3rd party validation all the time. In out of reach places where AMD likes to fight their customers, its the practice to get a professional's opinion to help open the long and grueling process of doing an RMA. Also, some people just like to create drama around things like this too. For all we know, its like 5 CPUs that got hit like this and the claims are bogus like that guy claiming to have received dozens of failed RX6000's with Cracked Dies.

Yeah I’m about 70/30 gaming/ productivity which is mainly video editing and encoding. That’s why I went 7950x3D over the 7800x3D.

Not a big OCer… I mean with this hardware why would I? 😂😂

Anyway… will cross that bridge when I come to it. My preference is AM5.
If you do change your mind this board is a steal at that price which includes PCIe 5.0 along with Realtek 4080 audio codec. $590 for the pair.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8m6p99/msi-pro-z790-a-wifi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-z790-a-wifi

They just put this cpu on sale.

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
Then maybe you can explain the please help me threads on the net with peeps having trouble with slow boot up times and I'm not talking about the initial boot up with that idiotic memory training.

I run on AMD only since the K6 to be honest. Never had issues with those things, even the FX was a extremely robust platform. The Ryzen "can" be picky in regards of memory but just stick to the motherboards QVL and you should be good. If you got huge delays in bootup then i suggest checking your settings or deep dive into the bios.

3tank

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
Does diddling with clocks, voltage appear to be a cause? I just dropped $1,500 on a Asus 670 extreme and 3700x3d and got it yesterday....

Reactions: laxman10100

purpleduggy

Proper
Apr 19, 2023
my guess is this is dodgy BIOS configs that allows for unsafe voltages and not really AMDs fault. be careful with overclocking, sometimes the risk is complete destruction. motherboard manufacturers should have stricter safety mechanisms in place with purposeful deactivation from the user to turn those safety mechanisms off. CPU should also have better safety mechanisms to prevent these voltages from even turning on in the first place.