[SOLVED] Using a Domain as Processing Power

Ahyan_

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
If a person wanted to send a computer a really big request, maybe create a thousand Microsoft accounts, but their computer wasn't fast enough to actually handle the requests, because it's a thousand Microsoft accounts, then could they use a domain or website, and possibly use their computer as a controller for the process?

I'm thinking this because GoDaddy and HostGator are huge corporations, and if they're handling billions of servers, then they could handle a request like this.
If that person bought a domain, which is connected to servers which are handling multiple requests, meaning that they're fast enough, then would it be possible for them to do this, and if yes, how so?

Last edited:
Solution
A "domain" is just a name.
That name can be linked to an actual server. You can pay for server resources, and tie the domain name to that.
But just paying for a domain will not do what you seek.

Ahyan_

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
If I were to buy a domain from GoDaddy or HostGator, would the domain be linked to an actual server? I don't know much about domains and servers and whatnot, but how would the domain be able to be accessed by users if it wasn't on a server?

USAFRet

Titan
If I were to buy a domain from GoDaddy or HostGator, would the domain be linked to an actual server? I don't know much about domains and servers and whatnot, but how would the domain be able to be accessed by users if it wasn't on a server?
Again, the 'domain' is literally just paying for a name.
If you want it to do something, you'd have to pay for hosting some content. This 'content' would be files, code, and services to do various things.

How much you'd pay depends in what resources you need.
Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, GoDadddy...any of those could provide some hosting and services. Provided you give them some money.

And of course, if you're doing anything but basic mail hosting or similar...someone is going to have to write some code to do what you want.

And what might this function be?

Ahyan_

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Again, the 'domain' is literally just paying for a name.
If you want it to do something, you'd have to pay for hosting some content. This 'content' would be files, code, and services to do various things.

How much you'd pay depends in what resources you need.
Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, GoDadddy...any of those could provide some hosting and services. Provided you give them some money.

And of course, if you're doing anything but basic mail hosting or similar...someone is going to have to write some code to do what you want.

And what might this function be?
Thanks for your reply, this makes more sense.