using both hdmi and vga connection at the same time on a single monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicnes105

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
i wanted to use both since whenever i use the hdmi cable, my screen always loses signal randomly and turns back on while gaming. right now im using a vga cable only, did not lose any signal yet. the graphic card i had to use a vga to dvi converter since it only had dvi connection and hdmi available. will anything happen to my monitor if i connect both a hdmi and the vga im using currently? will it not lose signal with 2 cable?

Solution
displays that have more than one input, have usually a button called SOURCE, which changes between which cable it uses to display things.
Connecting both will accomplish following:
your computer will see two copies of same screen, one for HDMI other for DVI/VGA
Thus you could have two desktops, from which you see only one at a time.
pressing said button changes which cable screen uses to display image from computer.

It will not hinder or make display work better since screen cannot use both at the same time.

As a side note, there is no big difference between HDMI and VGA if you are at 1080P and 60Hz, going to higher resolution/refresh rate can change things.
HDMI cable can be faulty/have bad connectors, same goes for GPU/display which...
displays that have more than one input, have usually a button called SOURCE, which changes between which cable it uses to display things.
Connecting both will accomplish following:
your computer will see two copies of same screen, one for HDMI other for DVI/VGA
Thus you could have two desktops, from which you see only one at a time.
pressing said button changes which cable screen uses to display image from computer.

It will not hinder or make display work better since screen cannot use both at the same time.

As a side note, there is no big difference between HDMI and VGA if you are at 1080P and 60Hz, going to higher resolution/refresh rate can change things.
HDMI cable can be faulty/have bad connectors, same goes for GPU/display which can be a reason why it loses connection at times, this can pretty much be tested by using same cable on another setup to see if it works there or not.

Reactions: The Sunflower
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.