Using Crossover cable for computer to comuter conection

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I'm trying to transfer files:
Both computers have gigabit Ethernet ports and I am using a cat 6 crossover cable to connect them together.

But Now what????

I have no idea what to do, and there are no websites out there to help me.

Note; One of my computers has two Ethernet ports.

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I still have no clue what is going on here.
I am utterly lost. This is impossible. All my friends refer to me as a computer expert but this is beyond me.

Network setup wizard - yeah I can run that -but what then?

This is annoying.

G

First, make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. Second, assign static IP adresses:

Computer 1:
IP Address - 192.168.1.1
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.1

Computer 2:
IP Address - 192.168.1.2
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.1

Now create shares on each computer.

Grumpy

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I think you are freaking yourself out with the unknowns, but this is really easy. Do you know where to find the network setup wizard?

Plug your cable in to connect the two computers.

Run the wizard on each machine. Answer the questions the wizard asks you about your internet connection (if you have one), give each computer a unique name, making sure to use the same workgroup name on both machines.

Once the wizard is run on both machines (and the cable is connected), the machines should be able to "see" each other in My Network Places.

Enable shares on whatever drives / folders on each machine that you want to give the other machine access to. These shared folders will then be visible in My Network Places on each machine. (Do you know where to find where you enable shares?)

You don't need to worry about IP addresses; Windows will handle that for you (unless you have special requirements where you care about the IP address).