Apr 13, 2021
Hoping that someone can educate me...

I have an RTX2080 Super and a Valve Index VR headset. I was using the DP(RTX) for the headset and two HDMI(RTX) for the monitors.

Integrated graphics were disable by default (MSI Mag Mortar B460M) but there were two ports for monitors on the MoBo. I enabled integrated graphics and now use it for the monitors alone whilst the RTX only has the VR headset.

Did I do myself any favors by physically separating the monitors that way? What determines the performance?

I have processor power to spare (i9-10850K) and plenty of RAM (32 GB @ 2933 MHz) for VR gaming.

Given the components I've listed, what can I do to get the most performance out of the VR?

Solution
Generally, a PC uses IGP or dGPU, not both at the same time.
Are the monitors now connected to your mobo? Or are they still connected to the 2080 Super?

Considering that once you strap the VR headset to your face, you won't be able to see your monitors anyway, I'm assuming you've got nothing that'd be considered a "load" going on on your monitors while VR gaming anyway. Displaying your desktop on your monitor(s) is essentially zero GPU load.

Sounds like you created a hassle for yourself if you ever want to do any non-VR gaming, then you'd have to re-connect the monitor(s) to the 2080S anyway.
Are the monitors now connected to your mobo? Or are they still connected to the 2080 Super?

Considering that once you strap the VR headset to your face, you won't be able to see your monitors anyway, I'm assuming you've got nothing that'd be considered a "load" going on on your monitors while VR gaming anyway. Displaying your desktop on your monitor(s) is essentially zero GPU load.

Sounds like you created a hassle for yourself if you ever want to do any non-VR gaming, then you'd have to re-connect the monitor(s) to the 2080S anyway.

Solution
Apr 13, 2021

Sounds like you created a hassle for yourself if you ever want to do any non-VR gaming, then you'd have to re-connect the monitor(s) to the dGPU anyway.

All games I've played will have a window open on the desktop, all while using the VR. I've heard this is done to monopolize some resources but I forget the details. In any event, there is a third game screen bring rendered, one for each eye and the desktop.

Apr 13, 2021

Originally, integrated graphics were disabled and I used the GPU for two monitors and a VR headset.

I found that you can't really disable the extra window on the desktop and had the idea to transfer that load to the integrated graphics and allow more headroom in the GPU for the VR headset.

So, I enabled the integrated graphics and plugged the monitors into that, leaving only the VR headset on the GPU.