Question Using laptop screen for Raspberry Pi 5 ?

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Hi guys, I found this old HP G50 laptop and removed the screen from it and i was wondering if it was possible to hook it up to a Raspberry Pi 5 ?

Please Let me know!

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
While it is in the realm of possible, it is also in the the realm of very unlikely. The screen is connected to the GPU (graphics processor unit) chip which is essentially a computer dedicated to driving the display. Your RPi probably wouldn't have any bandwidth left to do anything else. You probably noticed the tiny connector and the fragile cable. That alone would take a lot of skill to make the necessary connections.

Have heard the expression, "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it."?

OK, enough negativity. I would suggest you try. You'll need to find the pinout of the connector and the specifications of the interface. From there you'll have figure out how to control the I/O. All doable. This was a good place to start your research. Search for the hardware specs of the GPU that runs the display and the chips on the display itself.

I truly hope you succeed. Please report back here so others can follow in your footsteps.

OSD

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
While it is in the realm of possible, it is also in the the realm of very unlikely. The screen is connected to the GPU (graphics processor unit) chip which is essentially a computer dedicated to driving the display. Your RPi probably wouldn't have any bandwidth left to do anything else. You probably noticed the tiny connector and the fragile cable. That alone would take a lot of skill to make the necessary connections.

Have heard the expression, "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it."?

OK, enough negativity. I would suggest you try. You'll need to find the pinout of the connector and the specifications of the interface. From there you'll have figure out how to control the I/O. All doable. This was a good place to start your research. Search for the hardware specs of the GPU that runs the display and the chips on the display itself.

I truly hope you succeed. Please report back here so others can follow in your footsteps.

OSD
Here are the cables