Valve Owns Up To Modern Warfare 2 Error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Let me get this straight...you paid $59.99 or something like that, get banned on purpose to get you to buy it again but when the public finds out what Valve was doing, they offer free L4D2 in exchange to shut them up?[/citation]
I would hope they got refunds on the purchase. The article said nothing about that scenario. If they didn't get a refund, then yeah that would screwed up.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
quit being a bunch of fan boys, the real story here is that VAC made a mistake and the usual policy is "no comment" how often does this happen? what if it's just 2 poor saps who got VAC banned in error???? would VALVE have caught that error?

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]fausto[/nom]quit being a bunch of fan boys, the real story here is that VAC made a mistake and the usual policy is "no comment" how often does this happen? what if it's just 2 poor saps who got VAC banned in error???? would VALVE have caught that error?[/citation]

Well, there is always that question what if it was a error. However, I've never experience such problems and when I do, I will be done with Steam simple isn't? You just have to trust them and when it messes up stop buying from them and using their services but that is after making a complaint and seeing if it was an error they might fix it. You never know.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Awesome job on Valve's part by fessing up to their mistake; that earns them huge respect. As said before, Apple really needs to learn from them; better yet, don't let them learn, and let's all watch the company eventually die.

Giving away a free copy of LFD2 is awesome, giving a gift version as well, that's just amazing. They covered this issue as best as they possibly could, kudos to Valve.

On that note, I don't own LFD2 yet, and would love to give it a play. If anyone is feeling generous, and awesome, my Steam account name is "Dominus Porter"; I'd love you forever :)

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Great Job valve and anybody feeling generous enough to send me there free gifted L4D, please do so.

As for valve's support. Iv personally found their no comment can always be questioned directly, by contacting them using a "steam support ticket". Iv had responses within 24 hours and on some occasions anything up to 72 hours, but the point is. If you feel like you are unfortunately banned unfairly, then they WILL reply to you, IF you get off your ass and actually contact them!...

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]There have been PLENTY of L4D2 sales (it was $17.49 at one point) and it's going for 29.99 right now. Steam often has amazing bundles and flash deals on their games.[/citation]
he said "momentary", and he's right.

[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]THIS IS why VALVE is still loved among PC users... despite their momentary cockiness (charging full amount for L4D2), they give back more and more afterward...[/citation]

Considering the weekley Mutation and free content to come, L4D2 was well worth the price. Plus I would rather pay full price for a great VALVe game than pay full price for a mediocre 10-20 hour meh game from most other companies.

Batman: AA and Ghostbusters are the only non VALVe games I have found worth the price.

As for the mistake, its great that VALVe is taking the fall. Still makes me wonder if it wasn't a mistake in MW2s side and VALVe just wants to do the customers right.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
BUSINESS 101 : Mr Jobs Pay Attention! This is how a PROPER company deals with mistakes. Its not even that they gave anything away for free although justified but they owned up to it.

Now MR. Jobs your performance as of late has been horrible. Many failing grades as of late. You betetr get your act together.

Yeah so this time I made it about Apple. So Sue me!

Good job on Valve's part they did the right thing, not like some companies who don't even admit any problems when there is a huge error. And as a plus after they admitted it, everyone got a consolation.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Glad to see them taking care of business.

Does anyone know if MW2 on the computer still has the same hacking issues?

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
You gotta respect a company that treats its customers this way. I can think of a couple of big bad boys (apple, activision) that could learn from them.

Anyone with a L4D2 gift willing to send it to me? I would be much obliged! send it to
Cheers,

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]h83r[/nom]gotta love steam[/citation]
To my pleasure I hear Fallout 3 New Vegas will using Steam this time instead of Games for Winblows.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Gotta love Steam, they admitted to the problem and provided a fix and reimbursement to affected users, unlike some other company *cough*Apple*cough* who probably would have said we weren't holding the mouse properly as the reason for being banned.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Let me get this straight...you paid $59.99 or something like that, get banned on purpose to get you to buy it again but when the public finds out what Valve was doing, they offer free L4D2 in exchange to shut them up?Wow just Wow, you know what the best part is ? the tools believes them and takes their game.L4D2 is like what? $20? And you paid $60? In the end you still lost and the best part is that Valve doesnt lose anything. Im glad this happen, at least I have even more proof that Valve are a bunch of tards[/citation]
Hahahaha oh this so funny. Someone has watched too many X Files lol. If you have ever worked at a big dev shop like that, you would realize that mistakes happen. Probably someone had a last minute code change and it got pushed through QA without all the proper testing, etc.. Also, there is no way you could push a code change like that through the process without somebody noticing or least knowing and there has got to be someone that isn't getting paid quite enough or disgruntled enough that they would speak up.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]To my pleasure I hear Fallout 3 New Vegas will using Steam this time instead of Games for Winblows.[/citation]

Last time I checked the Games for Windows tag on game was just that they jumped through the right hoops at Microsoft to get that logo. Steam still runs on Windows right? So isn't that still a game for windows? Unless it is coming out for Mac or Linux and you were referring to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.