Valve Plans to Release Another Quick Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
No the gripe was that L4D players immediately got their gaming communities fractured with L4D2 released and were "forced" to pay another $50 if they wanted to keep playing with the same crowds. Some of us gave them the middle finger then switched over to "Killing Floor" which turned out to be an awesome choice. There have been several FREE expansions from Tripwire who apparently knows how to treat customers.

Valve are kinda turning into d1cks.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
"The opinion seemingly changed over time"

Not for everyone...compared to some other AAA titles, it's still a vignette release. Not complaining though, as long as they don't charge $49.99 for a full title.

/Bought both L4D and L4D2
/Only paid $35 for both (not each)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How can Valve expect us to buy that a Quick Sequel is worth the extra money of a full release, when it's been how long since they released Half-Life 2, Episode 2? Sure, they threw-out the Lost Coast teaser, 30 seconds of game play, whooptie doo!. I suppose there's a lot less story line that goes into L4D2, but that's what made it even harder to pay full-price for. New weapons, monsters, and scenery on the same engine does not a full-release make.

I would have paid $15-$20 when L4D2 first came out if it had been an add-on to L4D. Instead I waited until it was $10 during their 4th of July sale. If they release L4D3 this year (or Q1 2011), I'll just wait again.

[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]No the gripe was that L4D players immediately got their gaming communities fractured with L4D2 released and were "forced" to pay another $50 if they wanted to keep playing with the same crowds. Some of us gave them the middle finger then switched over to "Killing Floor" which turned out to be an awesome choice. There have been several FREE expansions from Tripwire who apparently knows how to treat customers.Valve are kinda turning into d1cks.[/citation]

KF was ok.

But I don't think they are better than VALVe. TF2 alone has had an entire games worth of content added for free. Alien Swarm is pretty fun and its free. L4D is going to get another DLC as will L4D2. Of course with L4D/L4D2 the biggest addition is the community. Maps are starting to flow pretty well and like TF2 will probably be the main source of content.

As for the quick sequal..... I guess I would hope for something towards Alien Swarm since it was just released. I don't think it will be L4D3 since there has been no hints or news about it. Possibly Portal 3.

Damn VALVe. Cryptic.......

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hmm I think 1 new IP (their dota thing), An expansion of their Dota thing, and... HL3/episode3 as a single game (probably not a new engine)

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Ask yourself, whens the last time Valve had a full release? You know one with single and multiplayer, that takes more than a few hours to play through before you're hopping on an online match.

/Half-Life 2
/2004

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Things that happen quickly can be quite enjoyable experiences. . .

I am speaking of course about small content updates to older products. I also feel that LFD1 was a great game that could have used some sprucing up with new content instead of having 2 games that people must choose between. Why do you think games with expansions like Starcraft, Diablo 2, Battlefield 1942, World of Warcraft and Everquest do so well for so long, its all about community.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
These aren't "surprises" It's Gabe's genius business model. Build a leading digital distribution system (Steam) while milking a handful of IPs with episodic/vignette releases.

It's easy to say "it's all about the community", that's buzzword bingo. Remember the phrase "Valve Time", they trickle content...

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Don't forget other Valve titles like Counter Strike and Day of Defeat! Not to mention the Half Life expansions made by Gearbox. I want to see more of Adrian Shepard!

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
For most PC gamers it seems that a "new game" comes with a new engine that takes advantage of the latest advances. A sequel is usually a "new game" and not an expansion that uses the long existing engine.

However, if there is significant content and weight to a "sequel" using the same engine as the original, wouldn't it be worth the price anyway? I know there are a couple of titles that I didn't want to end.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well the only game they released in the past year that doesn't include l4d2 is alien swarm, and i wasn't a fan. too boring IMO

and if it's l4d3, count me out. i got my fill of First person zombie killing action for a few years at least

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]However, if there is significant content and weight to a "sequel" using the same engine as the original, wouldn't it be worth the price anyway? I know there are a couple of titles that I didn't want to end.[/citation]

Yeah, that's why I still buy all my music on cassette tape, it's all about the content.

/this is sarcasm

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I think Valve totally missed the point on the complaints about Left 4 Dead 2. They had pretty specifically said during development of Left 4 Dead 1 that they wanted to support it like they support Team Fortress 2, then Left4Dead released with a small amount of content, got a tiny bit more, then they announced Left 4 Dead 2, and the community was pretty irritated about that.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Yea, if we are talking about quick sequals, then Half-Life obviously won't make that list of possibilities. It's been how long since Ep2?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]KF was ok.But I don't think they are better than VALVe. TF2 alone has had an entire games worth of content added for free. Alien Swarm is pretty fun and its free. L4D is going to get another DLC as will L4D2. Of course with L4D/L4D2 the biggest addition is the community. Maps are starting to flow pretty well and like TF2 will probably be the main source of content.As for the quick sequal..... I guess I would hope for something towards Alien Swarm since it was just released. I don't think it will be L4D3 since there has been no hints or news about it. Possibly Portal 3. Damn VALVe. Cryptic.......[/citation]

Yes, good point. TF2 has been a good example. L4D = d1cksandwich. Heck I felt ripped off even before L4D2. It was not worth full AAA price.

Status
Not open for further replies.