Valve Wants to Make Half-Life Movie Themselves

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timobkg

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I don't know that Valve can make a good movie. But given that every video game movie made in Hollywood so far has been pretty bad..., I'm pretty happy with the "Valve makes it, or no one does" approach.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]coleipoo[/nom]Half Life: The Movie starring Edward Norton as Gordon, Christopher Walkin as G-Man, Jessica Alba as Alyx, Danny Glover as Eli, and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Kleinman. Also featuring Bob Hoskins as Barney!Coming to a theater near you soon...in 2015....I mean 2018...let's be real here, no sooner than 2020.PREPARE YOURSELF[/citation]
I really really like your cast! Your release date, not so much though... ;)

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm having visions of the "Wing Commander" movie.

Seriously, there is no way they can pull off a good movie. Making a movie is entirely different than making a video game. They don't have the experience. They don't have the talent. Most of the things they "know" from making good games will, when translated to the big screen, make one cringe.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]Just keep Uwe Boll the hell away from it!!![/citation]
I'm in the extreme minority, but I actually like his movies. They are (unintentionally) hilarious. Postal was just amazing.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I think Valve creating a movie based on Half-Life is a great idea! However, as others have stated on here, if Freeman is to be the protagonist in this movie, he should be silent and faceless as he is in the games.

In fact, they could create a whole new genre of movie where the person watching has complete control over the character, and the environment is a fully rendered 3D map. The plotline should pick up where HL2:EP2 left off.

...and what if you could watch this “movie” on your home PC and maybe even be able to control the character’s actions with your mouse and keyboard!

Now THAT”S the kind of movie I would like Valve to make. Soon.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
A movie is a good idea. It should not be like the game exactly (that is the point of different mediums of art). Gordon can talk in the movie. Him not talking in the game doesn't preclude him from talking in the movie; in the game, you are him. In the movie, you are watching him.

This story is great for movie. It is Sci Fi; it does not have to explain everything (many good sci fi movies don't). The movie would be about the Gordon Freeman and his interaction with the environment. It's like The Road where the movie doesn't have to explain why the world is dying because that's not what the movie is about.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom] The plotline should pick up where HL2:EP2 left off....and what if you could watch this “movie” on your home PC and maybe even be able to control the character’s actions with your mouse and keyboard!Now THAT”S the kind of movie I would like Valve to make. Soon.[/citation]

So you basically just mean HL2:EP3...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
They should absolutely make the movie, but NOT just 1 movie. The story is way to big for 1, it would have to be three movies.

Shoot, you can pretty much make 3 movies just from HL2's storyline itself, not even including HL1.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
yeah a half-life move is some bad ass achivement to make. if it be bad it will scar me for life, we arent talking about a second class halo here. but a team fotress move wuld be lovely ^^. and if a movie on half-life is needed the 7 hour war culd make a insanely good movie for one of the best games ewer made.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Oh god yes, Valve do it in house, with independent developers. Just have them try to recreate the entire half life franchise. WITHOUT Gordon Freeman. Seriously don't make a movie based on him, make it based on the world, and have people talk about him.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
would rather they make another game instead of a movie. I would personally get more enjoyment out of the game by far. This seems like nothing more than a distraction for the company.

G

Team Fortress humor just is not my cup of tea, no matter how good it looks. The animation is great but nevertheless they look like moronic punks. Cartoon Half Life in similar vein would suck.

Why on earth do you think that Gordon Freeman in the film would be mute as fish?? Chrysis guy does not talk much either..its just the way first person shooters are made.

BTW.. Earlier the valve was in the guys eye...?! This new version is less disturbing than that!

Purkinje

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I think they should go with a live action movie. They've got a great story on their hands with the Half-Life franchise. I hope they take a more visual, visceral approach with the film, something akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Half-Life's story never just comes right out and gives you exposition and background, you simply experience through the eyes of Gordon Freeman, and I think the film should mirror that somehow.

Valve has already proven they can tell a captivating story, be it through games or movies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
First of all, I'd like to say to the folks at Valve: Making movies is hard.

Secondly I think the best thing Valve could do is make the animation movie, but then use that as the blueprint for a live action movie. They would basically have the movie scripted, story boarded, and camera angles, special shots, etc. all worked out. Then the experts in Hollywood could transform that vision into a live action film under Valve supervision. Then, everyone rakes in lots of money.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I don't think it could be done right if it was live action. If anyone could pull it off though, it's Valve. Only the developers of the games could make anything remotely true to the games.

How would you feel about a Half-Life movie done like the Team Fortress 2 series?

Considering how deep VALVe tends to make their stories (I still want my revenge for the end of EP2), I would be all for it.

Newell is right. None of the game to movie setups have evenr done the game justice. They always fail at some point by changing it too much or downplaying the story for action.

If VALVe decided to use Source to create a Half-Life movie and released it via Steam and DVD, I would be all for it.

Who else could make a perfect Half-Life movie than the creators themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.