Valve Wants to Make Half-Life Movie Themselves

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Personally, I would love to see a L4D movie, especially after Zombieland came out. Would be cool to see Zoey, Francis, Louis and Bill make a debut at the theatres, although extremely unlikely, especially in the midst of all these garbage movies like Resident Evil. Looks like their latest movie is totally ripping off scenes from the Matrix more than a parody movie is ripping off the movie it's making fun of.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Why not go through all varieties of comic adaptations from Marvel and DC to scout for talent that would be suitable for the Half-Life material? I think that the Watchmen was really good. But, of course no matter what talent there is out there I think it is important that the man in charge and the people involved are passionate about the project, which Newell and his team actually seem to be. If he decides to delegate, it better be someone who is at least equally as passionate as him but on the other hand there might be a battle of wills which doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. Steven Spielberg and his collaboration with George Lucas is a sure example of that.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Since there's a big gap between HL1 and HL2 (almost 20 years), the story should focus on the very end of that gap. The resistance has been organized and Alyx, Barney and the others are ready to take on the Combine and Dr. Breen. The very end of the movie could introduce Freeman, without him talking or doing anything. Kinda like Darth Vader at the end of SW:EP3. Except, you know... good.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Problems with a halflife movie(s)...

1. It needs to be 2.5 hours at least
2. It needs to be a trilogy set or at least a 2 parter
3. It needs a director who has vision that aligns with the games

That will be hard to pull off...

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I agree with the fact that 90% of the time Hollywood totally destroys the essence of a good game or novel when they throw it to the big screen, even when they do a remake of a classic movie... but I disagree that something as famous as the Half-Life story deserves only a computer animated movie (unless they do it like Avatar, which I seriously doubt it $$$) so... I would suggest to Newell and his crew to be the ones in charge of making the script, so he would be sure that it's an appropriate script and then hire a good Hollywood director that would make a "real" movie.

tlonzo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Personally I think Half Life is one of the few video game universes that COULD make a good movie. I'm not saying it will, no matter who makes it. But I feel like it wouldn't be able to follow Gordon Freeman. If Valve does have plans for a movie, I think it would probably have to follow a different character, or they risk destroying the image of Gordon.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
"some people think they can outsmart me... maybe... maybe... I'm yet to meet one who can out smart bullet!"

I think Valve would do a great job at making the half life movie... as long as it's computer generated and they don't have to deal with any real life actors!

Status
Not open for further replies.