Valve's Steam Ditches Internet Explorer for WebKit

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I tried it, it crashed. Had to uninstall steam, lost all my games and now have to re download them.

So fat I'm the only one that had that problem. Oh well, it teaches me this:

BETA = NOT QUITE READY FOR RELEASE, PROCEED WITH CARE.

kresso

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
WebKit is great. I am glad to see steam moving to an open source alternative, I just hope they don't make things more complicated. Added functionality doesn't always equal better functionality.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I really like the new interface and love the much faster start up times and lack of lag in the screens compared to the old UI.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]I tried it, it crashed. Had to uninstall steam, lost all my games and now have to re download them.So fat I'm the only one that had that problem. Oh well, it teaches me this:BETA = NOT QUITE READY FOR RELEASE, PROCEED WITH CARE.[/citation]
Also, remember this: always do a hdd back-up of the game files; this way you don't have to re-download it all.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
So far I love it. Looks great and there're loads of new features. Everything's really elegant, especially the detail view for games and the custom categories for games.

Couple of things they need to work on, though:
-seems a little laggy moving the window and scrolling
-no way to delete categories for games
-no more slim view for the games window
-the artwork for games is great, but all of my mods are looking a little bare. Maybe some way for mod devs to add their own custom artwork or for me to do it myself?

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Will be able to select which drive/directory a program gets installed? I find this more important than the rest. The HD where steam is installed is nearly full and I can't install apps on the other HD that's nearly empty. All the apps install in the steam directory :(

4745454b

Titan
Hopefully this will also fix the problem of the white screen on all web steam pages. Not sure how many people have this problem other then me. I find it irritating when I'm trying to view the 3-5 pages of whats new stuff and all I can see is a white screen on each page.

For those that don't know, under file there is a "backup games" program you can run to back up your games to your drive. This is useful for betas or moving your steam folder to a bigger drive.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Will be able to select which drive/directory a program gets installed? I find this more important than the rest. The HD where steam is installed is nearly full and I can't install apps on the other HD that's nearly empty. All the apps install in the steam directory[/citation]

drag the steamapps folder and your SourceMods folder onto the other drive. Uninstall steam, reinstall on the other drive, and put your steamapps and sourcemods folders back in the steam directory. Problem solved.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
The UI beta seems to be bricking Steam clients running Win7 x64. You don't have to uninstall and lose all your games, you can just redownload the Steam installer and choose the "repair" option. Some folks reported having to do this twice.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Tried it earlier on Win7 x64 no issues, except a noticeable difference in memory usage, more than double in almost every application that I used it for. Regardless it is a beta, I like the look of it a lot, but switched back because the text for steam friends I found to be rather difficult to read. Will be nice when the beta is finished, it has an immensely improved browser and a polished look.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Also, remember this: always do a hdd back-up of the game files; this way you don't have to re-download it all.[/citation]

This^^

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Not sure why, but I went from playing MW2, then opting in for beta, then steam suddenly decided that MW2 needed a 2 hour update.

After the steam download finishes, MW2 errors out. I verify files to find out that 107 game files were corrupted and need re-downloaded.

AWESOME

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Everyone does realize that they're opting into a beta right? You're supposed to relay all the problems with it to Valve, so they can fix it before a full release, and like all betas you should make a backup of your original so you can do a quick uninstall if something does go wrong. If it refuses to start, simply copy your steamapps folder somewhere else, reinstall, and then copy the steamapps folder back.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Not sure why, but I went from playing MW2, then opting in for beta, then steam suddenly decided that MW2 needed a 2 hour update.After the steam download finishes, MW2 errors out. I verify files to find out that 107 game files were corrupted and need re-downloaded. AWESOME[/citation]

Please refer back to this:

[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Also, remember this: always do a hdd back-up of the game files; this way you don't have to re-download it all.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.