[SOLVED] Various programs crashing for graphical issues, how can I check if my GPU is dying?

Nov 4, 2020
Hello everyone,

for the past 2 days various programs & games have been dying for graphical issues.

For example, Google Chrome just stopped reacting, showed multiple vague error messages relating to "unexpected errors" and crashed,
MORDHAU shows error messages like "couldn't assign texture" or something along those lines and crashes on higher settings,
Discord seems to just restart every time one of these things happens, more rarely goes completely unresponsive,
League of Legends dies in loading screen.

As soon as these things happen again I can get you more details on what exactly the error messages were,
but for now that's all the information I have..

I've ran OCCT tests on the graphics card with no issues, so I'm kind of left wondering.
How do I know whether or not my GPU is dying? Can I remedy it if it is?

It's a Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER, around 1 1/2 years old.

Thank you.

Solution
How do I know whether or not my GPU is dying?

1. If you have non-F Intel CPU or AMD APU, pull out your GPU and plug your monitor to your MoBo. Look if you get the same issues with iGPU as well.
  2. Put your GPU into 2nd PC and look if you get the same issues there.
  3. Put 2nd, known to work GPU, in your PC and look if issues remain.
  4. Ran GPU bench, e.g Unigine Superposition, and look if bench crashes and/or if there are artifacts/distortions on the screen during the bench.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
How do I know whether or not my GPU is dying?

1. If you have non-F Intel CPU or AMD APU, pull out your GPU and plug your monitor to your MoBo. Look if you get the same issues with iGPU as well.
  4. Ran GPU bench, e.g Unigine Superposition, and look if bench crashes and/or if there are artifacts/distortions on the screen during the bench.

Reactions: raaiiny_
Solution
Nov 4, 2020

Thank you, I will try those steps.

Reactions: Aeacus