Vectra VLi8 Wake-on-lan and linux

Hi,
I picked up 5 VLi8 boxes cheap, and am using them for a small
development environment. I don't keep them all turned all the time, but
would like to be able to start them with wake-on-lan when I decide to do
some development. The installed operating system on the boxes is RHAS 4.

I have tried everything to get WoL working for the built-in
3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL, without success. I have enabled
network starting in the BIOS. I have tried to modify the device's PCI
registers directly to set the interface into S3 mode, but absolutely no
success. I tried both the FreeBSD wol port, and Donald Becker's wol
program to send magic packets to the machine's mac address. Nothing
works. I am on a single subnet, with an 8-port 100Mbps D-Link switch.

AFAIK, wol for the VLi8's was designed to be administered with "HP Top
Tools", which was discontinued in 2002...

Any relevant tips would be greatly appreciated.

--
mike

On the seventh day, Mike Jackson wrote...

> I have tried everything to get WoL working for the built-in
> 3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL, without success. I have enabled
> network starting in the BIOS. I have tried to modify the device's PCI
> registers directly to set the interface into S3 mode, but absolutely no
> success. I tried both the FreeBSD wol port, and Donald Becker's wol
> program to send magic packets to the machine's mac address. Nothing
> works. I am on a single subnet, with an 8-port 100Mbps D-Link switch.
>

> AFAIK, wol for the VLi8's was designed to be administered with "HP Top
> Tools", which was discontinued in 2002...
>

> Any relevant tips would be greatly appreciated.

is the 3Com card onboard or a separate PCI card? If the latter, you need a
WOL cable.

The way how it works: power on the PCs, run the shutdown -h now command, so
that the PCs will power off automatically. It is only then, that you can
wake up the PCs using standard wake-up tools.

HTH

Does anyone REALLY read these stupid quotes?

TRENDING THREADS