Question Vertical lines at the top of laptop screen & most of the screen is unusable ?

nettek

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I have a ASUS TUF A15 laptop. A few weeks ago I started getting those vertical lines at the top of the screen.
At first it was manageable, it only happened when I entered full screen of a video. Then it got worse to the point that I can't see what's below those lines. Sometimes the screen refreshes and I do see, but it happens every 1-2 seconds or so, and like I said, not always.

I tried Windows reset (format), entering safe mode, updating drivers of both AMD and NVIDIA, disabling AMD only, disabling NVIDIA only, nothing works.
The only thing that completely fixes those issues is changing the refresh rate to 60Hz instead of 144Hz.

I should state that I can't see screens that are "outside" of Windows, so for example I don't see the ASUS startup screen, the advanced troubleshooting Windows screen (I can't enter safe mode for example), BIOS (haven't tried it but highly suspect it won't work), etc. probably because they default to 144Hz refresh rate.

So to me it seems like a hardware problem, but before I order a new replacement screen I wanted to consult with you and see if anything can be done software wise.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
There's only so much you can explain with the aid of text whereby you need aid of another method of illustration. Please add images of what you're seeing on your laptop's screen. Speaking of laptop, is it yet under warranty?

Is the BIOS pending update?

I tried Windows reset (format)
Can you elaborate on this? Format and reinstall is not the same as an OS reset.

nettek

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I attached a video. it doesn't show much though. The only visible part of the screen is the upmost top. After that are the vertical lines, next is just Black. Of course screenshots or a video taken from the computer itself won't show the issue so I had to take a video with my phone.
View: https://imgur.com/a/pp7BV6r

Laptop is not under warranty (I also disassembled it a few times).

There is no BIOS update pending.

I tried Windows reset (format)
Can you elaborate on this? Format and reinstall is not the same as an OS reset.

I meant the "Reset my PC" option.