[SOLVED] Very bizarre humming noise from PC. Please help!

Mar 29, 2020
Hi all,

I recently bought an MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge motherboard and a Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT GPU.

Ever since, I've heard a weird humming noise coming from my motherboard area when idle. It is not my power supply nor coil whine from my graphics card. When I boot my PC, it sounds like a hard drive starts spinning in my mobo area, becomes quieter, and the sound persists (I only have SSD's, by the way).

Anything you guys think this might be? I'm thinking it might have something to do with my CPU/water cooler (i5 9600k), but I'm not sure.

Thank you!

Solution
If you have a liquid cooler, then it is pump noise almost certainly. There is nothing else on the motherboard that could make that kind of noise because there are no moving parts. I've heard of capacitor hum before, but it's been a very long time since I've seen anybody indicate they have this problem with modern hardware. My money would be on the pump.
If you have a liquid cooler, then it is pump noise almost certainly. There is nothing else on the motherboard that could make that kind of noise because there are no moving parts. I've heard of capacitor hum before, but it's been a very long time since I've seen anybody indicate they have this problem with modern hardware. My money would be on the pump.

Solution
Mar 29, 2020

Alright, I'll replace it. Sounds like a lot of people have this issue with the NZXT Kraken.