Status
Not open for further replies.

mediaservant

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Hi, I am working on a toshiba satellite a215-s7437 model PSAFGU-00L002.

It wasn't wanting to turn on properly - it seems to have the "very rare black screen issue" as described on many forums and tohsiba's bios update site.

When you turn it on it will show the power light and illuminate the toshiba logo, and the optical drive will cycle. And then just sit there, nothing on the screen, no post.

It will also sometimes partially post and then lock up.

Sometimes it will work fine.

So far I have:

-updated the bios successfully to 1.9
-reinstalled windows (It was blue screening occasionally)
-changed out the ram
-disassemble to check the bios battery - not dead
-"reset" the bios by removing battery and AC power and holding the power button
-tested with/without the HD
-all the various tricks and fixes described on various internet forums

It has not behaved consistently, meaning that doing a particular process or procedure does not always result in it working.

Sometimes when it locks on post doing a ctrl-alt-delete will actually reset it, or "help it" to come up.

All I can narrow down is that it works better if the battery is charged and it remains on AC power for a while. Otherwise it seems like it needs to "charge up" for a time before attempting to get it to boot.

I've worked with this thing so it will stay up and work well for days - plugged in. My friend comes and takes it home, and after a few hours he attempts to turn it on and it is simply dead again.

Please help, any ideas will be most appreciated. This is for a friend and I really need to do what I can to figure out how he can use this machine. He spent "Extra" on it so it would be faster and last longer, right now he's dealing with health and job issues, getting this back would be a real blessing for him.

mediaservant

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I'm suspecting a bad mobo, obviously, but has anyone dealt with this model line and successfully fixed the "black screen issue" via the bios update per toshiba's recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.