Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2023
Hello.

I am facing a weird problem, that I don't even know how to Google. I am using a cable connection, and it is stable enough to play online games like Lost Ark, but I can't load even 480p video on YouTube. Speedtest.net shows that both cable and Wi-Fi connections' download and upload speed is 2-10 Mbit/s, while my plan is 500 Mbit/s. A technician from the internet provider company came by, ran all the test for router. Everything is fine. We also checked all the cables. They are also fine. Then we tested connection on his devices, and it showed a perfect results. Same stuff with Wi-Fi and 5G. I reinstalled all the drivers from manufacturer's webpage multiple times. Nothing changed.

Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX;
Wi-Fi: TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900.

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"both cable and Wi-Fi connections' download and upload speed is 2-10 Mbit/s, while my plan is 500 Mbit/s".

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on your computer - as I understand your post that would a wireless network adapter.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype it all.

Reactions: Jawnny
Oct 2, 2023
This:

"both cable and Wi-Fi connections' download and upload speed is 2-10 Mbit/s, while my plan is 500 Mbit/s".

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on your computer - as I understand your post that would a wireless network adapter.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype it all.
Hello. Thank You for replay.

This is what I got:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-3RQSNH9
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : starman.ee

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : starman.ee
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D8-61-BE-60-F0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::aa11:de22:40c2:132f%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 3 October, 2023 14:39:02
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 3 October, 2023 16:09:02
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33609825
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2A-D5-68-F5-00-D8-61-BE-60-F0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.253.0.130
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-25-E8-B1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-3E-AA-25-E8-B1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-3E-AA-25-E0-B1

Ralston18

Titan
ipconfig /all as posted shows that only one wired network adapter is enabled and only one network adapter of any sort. That is good.

The PC is requesting a DCHP IP address from the Default Gateway at 192.168.0.1 and current using 192.168.0.11

That said there appears that there are some mis-configurations.

Three things to do:

1) Lease time is only 1 1/2 hours. Technically should not make a difference. However, increase the lease time to the allowed max or at least 24 hours.

2) If changing the lease time does not improve performance then disable IPv6. IPv6 can be problematic.

= = = =

DNS configuration is confusing.

3) Lastly take a look at the DNS Server, IP = 85.253.0.130 (ns4.starman.ee ). Is ns4.starman.ee your ISP?

Wireless is showing "starman" as a DNS. Was that deliberately set and, if so, why?

Try using Google instead via 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 for DNS Server.

Overall, it appears to me that the slow problem may simply be a matter of some misconfiguration.

Oct 2, 2023
ipconfig /all as posted shows that only one wired network adapter is enabled and only one network adapter of any sort. That is good.

The PC is requesting a DCHP IP address from the Default Gateway at 192.168.0.1 and current using 192.168.0.11

That said there appears that there are some mis-configurations.

Three things to do:

1) Lease time is only 1 1/2 hours. Technically should not make a difference. However, increase the lease time to the allowed max or at least 24 hours.

2) If changing the lease time does not improve performance then disable IPv6. IPv6 can be problematic.

= = = =

DNS configuration is confusing.

3) Lastly take a look at the DNS Server, IP = 85.253.0.130 (ns4.starman.ee ). Is ns4.starman.ee your ISP?

Wireless is showing "starman" as a DNS. Was that deliberately set and, if so, why?

Try using Google instead via 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 for DNS Server.

Overall, it appears to me that the slow problem may simply be a matter of some misconfiguration.
Thank You for replay. How do I apply those changes? In the same ipconfig /all?

Ralston18

Titan
The changes are made via the Router (you will need admin rights) and also on the network adapter.

Access the router/Default Gateway by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser. Provide admin/login name and password.

Access network adapter settings by typing "View network connections" into the oval Search box in the lower left screen corner.

Select the listed (per your ipconfig /all) Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller > Change settings of this connection.

Take a look at everything first. Make some notes or screen shots before changing anything as a reference in case you need to undo something.

The following links should be helpful:

https://www.webnots.com/how-to-change-network-settings-in-windows-10/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-network-adapter-settings-windows-11

Oct 2, 2023
The changes are made via the Router (you will need admin rights) and also on the network adapter.

Access the router/Default Gateway by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser. Provide admin/login name and password.

Access network adapter settings by typing "View network connections" into the oval Search box in the lower left screen corner.

Select the listed (per your ipconfig /all) Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller > Change settings of this connection.

Take a look at everything first. Make some notes or screen shots before changing anything as a reference in case you need to undo something.

The following links should be helpful:

https://www.webnots.com/how-to-change-network-settings-in-windows-10/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-network-adapter-settings-windows-11
Thank You for the answer. Is it possible, that due to this misconfiguration, problem appear only on once device? Because there were no problems on technician devices.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

For the most part the technicians are limited in what they can do or even suggest. Often, to be fair, they are overworked and likely undertrained. ISPs do not want the responsibliity or even the appearence of responsilbility for supporting an entire private/home network.

Overall, the ISP's support will end at and with their last piece of equipment in the network path.

Be that connection a terminal box of some sort, a modem, a router, or combination modem/router.

That is one reason for renting equipement from the ISP. If you own the equipment (especially if not listed as supported) then resolving problems with those devices is on you. Gets worse if your devices are from different manufacturers as they all can simply blame the "other guy".

So it can take some time and effort to prove or otherwise demonstrate that any given problem is indeed the ISP.

The suggestions above focus on things within your control and perview.

Those things can be limited. Again, as an example, if the router is personally owned then only the person with the applicable admin rights and password can make changes.

In the current situation, the starting porint is the changes that can be made, if any, with regards to the computer's network configuration settings and perhaps the router or modem/router.l

Knowing that only one network device is directly affected is very helpful. You can focus on that device.

Hence the focus on the current network adapter's configuration settings.

Oct 2, 2023
Yes.

For the most part the technicians are limited in what they can do or even suggest. Often, to be fair, they are overworked and likely undertrained. ISPs do not want the responsibliity or even the appearence of responsilbility for supporting an entire private/home network.

Overall, the ISP's support will end at and with their last piece of equipment in the network path.

Be that connection a terminal box of some sort, a modem, a router, or combination modem/router.

That is one reason for renting equipement from the ISP. If you own the equipment (especially if not listed as supported) then resolving problems with those devices is on you. Gets worse if your devices are from different manufacturers as they all can simply blame the "other guy".

So it can take some time and effort to prove or otherwise demonstrate that any given problem is indeed the ISP.

The suggestions above focus on things within your control and perview.

Those things can be limited. Again, as an example, if the router is personally owned then only the person with the applicable admin rights and password can make changes.

In the current situation, the starting porint is the changes that can be made, if any, with regards to the computer's network configuration settings and perhaps the router or modem/router.l

Knowing that only one network device is directly affected is very helpful. You can focus on that device.

Hence the focus on the current network adapter's configuration settings.
Thank You for such a detailed answer. I am renting-to-own this device, and as of right now I am failing to find oval search box in Technicolor CGA2121 menu. I tried to contact my ISP and ask for a help, they told me to check my hardware. I have changed DNS for the ones you offered, set Lease Time for 86400 seconds and turned off IPv6 in firewall settings. Download/Upload speed didn't change.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What version of Windows?

The oval search box should appear in the Desktop 's task bar.

You can also access the network card's configuration settings via Control Panel.

However, simply use "WIN" + "S" and enter via the "Type here to search"

Type in "Manage Network Adapter Settings" to get started.

Oct 2, 2023
What version of Windows?

The oval search box should appear in the Desktop 's task bar.

You can also access the network card's configuration settings via Control Panel.

However, simply use "WIN" + "S" and enter via the "Type here to search"

Type in "Manage Network Adapter Settings" to get started.
Windows 10 Pro, OS Build 19045.3448.

I went through Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Ethernet (Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller) > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties, in "Use the following IP address" I used 192.168.0.1 for IP address and 255.255.255.0 for Subnet mask. Then I used 8.8.8.8 for Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 for Alternate DNS server. After that, a Windows Network Diagnostics window came up, saying it has found and issue and can help me to fix it. <Issues found DHCP is not enabled for "Ethernet"> and there will be no connection, if I skip offered troubleshooting. If run the troubleshooting and fixing, it will "fix" the issue it is addressing, the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) will be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and the download/upload stays slow, which is around 1% of my plan.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Please run and post "ipconfig /all" again.

The network adapter should be set to DHCP with the Default Gateway/DNS Server being 192.168.0.1

Is "Obtain an IP address automatically" selected?

If I followed correctly it appears that you attempted to assign the Router's IP address (192.168.0.1) to the PC.

The troubleshooter appears to have detected that and made/attempted an applicable fix.

Only the router should have the IP address of 192.168.0.1.

All other devices go to the router at that address to obtain a DHCP IP address from the router.

For more explanation (and you can easily find other similar links):

https://whatismyipaddress.com/dhcp

https://www.techtarget.com/searchne...HCP server manages a,with the same IP address.

= = = =

Overall, end users can configure network devices to have a specific static IP address versus obtaining a DHCP IP address via the router. The router will provide an available IP address within the allowed address range. That IP address is likely to change especially in a network with multiple DHCP configured devices requesting an IP address at boot time.

However there are rules that must be followed when static IP addresses are being used. One rule is that there can be no duplicate IPs.

You can't use 192.168.0.1 for your IP address that is the routers IP address.

It likely doesn't matter DHCP tends to be better option for most people. You can set the dns manually even if you use DHCP for the IP.

But it is highly unlikely any of this is related to your problem. DNS issues might cause slow web page loads but DNS is only used when it is looking up a site name to get the IP address. So if it was a DNS issue the speedtest web page might take a while to first come up but once it starts the test it is no longer using DNS since it know the IP address and that will not change during the test.

Sometimes IPv6 can cause this issue but it appears you are using IPv4.

It would be nice if you had a second device you could test with. Even your cellphone using wifi should get more than 10mbps. This would make it more clear it was some issue with your pc and not your actual network.

Could be many things but it is likely something that is placing a artificial limit on bandwidth. There are some settings in windows that can do this but most times it is some software you installed...sometimes it is installed with the bloatware in motherboards or video cards.

I would look for any software on your machine that claims to favor one kind of traffic over another. There are so called "gaming" network accelerators that cause lots of problems. A common name is cfosspeed. Anything like this should be uninstalled.

A brute force test would be to get a linux boot image that runs on a USB stick and does not impact your windows install. These are pretty basic but almost all have a web browser installed and you can run the normal speedtest. Problem is it just tells you that it is not some strange hardware bug, which you already pretty much know since your wifi and ethernet are both affected.
It just means some unknown things in windows is affecting it. Unfortunately the easiest thing in that case is to blindly reinstall windows but you will never really know what was messed up.

Oct 2, 2023
Please run and post "ipconfig /all" again.

The network adapter should be set to DHCP with the Default Gateway/DNS Server being 192.168.0.1

Is "Obtain an IP address automatically" selected?

If I followed correctly it appears that you attempted to assign the Router's IP address (192.168.0.1) to the PC.

The troubleshooter appears to have detected that and made/attempted an applicable fix.

Only the router should have the IP address of 192.168.0.1.

All other devices go to the router at that address to obtain a DHCP IP address from the router.

For more explanation (and you can easily find other similar links):

https://whatismyipaddress.com/dhcp

https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/definition/DHCP#:~:text=A DHCP server manages a,with the same IP address.

= = = =

Overall, end users can configure network devices to have a specific static IP address versus obtaining a DHCP IP address via the router. The router will provide an available IP address within the allowed address range. That IP address is likely to change especially in a network with multiple DHCP configured devices requesting an IP address at boot time.

However there are rules that must be followed when static IP addresses are being used. One rule is that there can be no duplicate IPs.
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-3RQSNH9
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : starman.ee

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D8-61-BE-60-F0
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::aa11:de22:40c2:132f%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, 6 October, 2023 17:04:39
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 7 October, 2023 17:04:39
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33609825
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2A-D5-68-F5-00-D8-61-BE-60-F0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-25-E8-B1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-3E-AA-25-E8-B1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-3E-AA-25-E0-B1

Oct 2, 2023
Okay, here is the weird part now:
I didn't install any software in a long time. I checked the last installed software the same day when the problem started was Microsoft Edge. I tried to do Speedtest in Google Chrome: DOWNLOAD Mbps 21.14 / UPLOAD Mbps 18.12 (Ping ms 43 42 43). Then in Microsoft Edge: DOWNLOAD Mbps 503.39 / UPLOAD Mbps 52.66 (Ping ms 10 27 35). Then I checked extensions in my browser, and I found out that my wife installed a random VPN to read Russian propaganda news in Russia, and she didn't tell me. And that app was hidden in the browser. I deleted that trash and now I have my speed back. Thank You for Your help from the bottom of my heart!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.