[SOLVED] Very slow loading times SSD

I got an external ssd as a gift from my friend a few months ago, the loading times have gotten gradually worse over time and it keeps disconnecting randomly but not all the time.

For refrence it takes about 15-20seconds to load up a map in Injustice 2

I maybe could take it out of the box and make it an internal SSD but i wouldnt want to void the warranty as its practically brand new.

The SSD in question is Samsung T5
Ive tried different usb slots and defragging it but nothing seems to work
Crystaldisk shows that it should work perfectly?

Can someone help with this issue as its really impacting my gaming experience as i play fighting games with friends but the loading times just turn down the feel for the game.

The loading times feel longer than the actual fight

edit: Forgot to mention that this is the first time ive had an external disk so i dont know if theres some extra steps i need to take to make it work as it should

Solution
Got this sorted, changed the slot to 3.1 and disabled powering off usb devices in windows. Its working perfectly now!
You need to install your games on internal storage --- it's the USB interface which is causing the slow loading times compared to SATA. External should really only be used for backups of your important files, & downloads you've paid for in case you need to install one of them again.

Reactions: puw2
SSD external drives are connected via a USB to SATA converter and usually the board is a lower standard when compared to dedicated SSD's, so they perform slower overall. It's most likely not even an SSD in the conventional way you're think, rather, just a board in there - no housing that you can install into the laptop. So as @Phillip Corcoran wrote above, only use it for file backups.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Defragging an SSD can also cause problems sooner or later, did you mean TRIM? +1 for Phillip and Newtonius, go with their advice. And, related to game response, laptop, desktop, minitower? If desk or tower, does it have PS/2 ports? Use a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse. PS/2 normally is quite a bit faster than USB KB and MSE.

ankit213506

Great
Feb 24, 2020
I got an external ssd as a gift from my friend a few months ago, the loading times have gotten gradually worse over time and it keeps disconnecting randomly but not all the time.

For refrence it takes about 15-20seconds to load up a map in Injustice 2

I maybe could take it out of the box and make it an internal SSD but i wouldnt want to void the warranty as its practically brand new.

The SSD in question is Samsung T5
Ive tried different usb slots and defragging it but nothing seems to work
Crystaldisk shows that it should work perfectly?

Can someone help with this issue as its really impacting my gaming experience as i play fighting games with friends but the loading times just turn down the feel for the game.

The loading times feel longer than the actual fight

edit: Forgot to mention that this is the first time ive had an external disk so i dont know if theres some extra steps i need to take to make it work as it should
Try to clear the cache file or remove virus , then you will get the spped.
for removing the cache files type %tmp% in search bar then clear it