Vga and dvi at the same time on one monitor

jimjohn

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I have two side-by-side computers (XP and win 7). One of the machines is plugged into the LCD monitor via the VGA connection and the other via the DVI connection. This arrangement works just fine if only one of the computers is turned on. But I'm concerned that I might have one of them running and unthoughtfully boot up the other. If they're both running, then each one is sending a different set of signals to the same display unit. This doesn't sound good to me. Could it have catastrophic results?

Maybe there's a BIOS setting that determines the priority of the separate inputs. I'd very much like to know.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JJ

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
All you should need to do is switch the input on the screen. It has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of settings on the computer. If the screen is designed to only detect and use one input at a time, then it will show only the one that takes priority, probably the DVI connection. I have never heard of this being catastrophic, there really isn't a way that you could break anything.
Just find the input setting on the monitor and switch between the 2.

jimjohn

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks brother. You put me right on it. I found the answer to my question in the menu for my monitor. Just like you said, there's this little switch that lets you determine the priority of VGA and DVI. But only one of them can be activated at a given time.

Best Answer Award goes to you. I'm sure you will be handsomely remunerated for your splendid effort.